On Sale Now for a limited time! Gluten Free Grain Free Breads, Batters & Doughs If you are gluten free or grain free, this book is for you! Breads, Batters & Doughs teaches you how to cook using alternative flours and offers a collection of incredible recipes! Use coupon code healthy2014 at checkout...

grass fed beef on a budget | WholeLifestyleNutrition.com

Why Eat Grass-Fed Beef?

I know it can be hard to eat grass fed meat when you are on a budget. But what if I showed you how you can easily eat grass fed beef all while saving money? Got your attention? Read on…

In her book “Deep Nutrition”, Doctor Catherine Shanahan explains that if you want to eat well, but are on a tight budget, invest your money in quality meat, even over organic produce. She explains, “Organic animal products give you more bang for your buck because they benefit from bio-concentration.”

Bio-concentration is referring, in simple terms, to the percent of goodness–nutrients and minerals–found in a certain ingredient.

This is why it is important to invest in organic meat and dairy products–the nutrients are highly concentrated.

Why Factory Meat is So Bad For You!

On the other hand, factory-farmed animals raised in confined habitats and fed grains they were never intended to digest have a high concentration of poor, toxic fats.

It’s these high concentrations of unhealthy fats we avoid by eating only 100% grass-fed beef.

Shanahan puts it this way, “When you buy organic vegetables, you are only avoiding a little bit of poison. When you buy organic meat, especially the fatty cuts, you’re avoiding a lot.”

When on a tight budget, put your money where it matters most–highly concentrated animal products.

Where We Find Grass Fed Beef On A Budget

My family just moved from Milwaukee to Kansas City. With such a big move comes the equally large task of locating new sources for our whole food staples.

And so our first Saturday in the city found us at the farmer’s market, excited to explore the bountiful wholesome ingredients available from the local farmers here in Missouri.

Grass Fed Beef On A Budget | WholeLifestyleNutrition.com

The weather is just beginning to turn cold, and so I was craving something warm and hearty; red meat would do just the trick.

I was drawn to a couple and their young son selling grass-fed beef from a freezer outside of their trailer. Their display was humble and inviting; a few chalk boards displaying the cuts of meat available that day.

I walked away happy with a pound of grass fed beef shanks, costing me only $3. You do not have to spend a lot of money to create a tasty grass fed dish.

Always check local resources first, whether it be a farmers market or finding a farmer in your area to buy direct.

Buying Quality Meat For Less!

Bottom line, here is what you need to do to save money when buying grass-fed beef.

• Check your local farmers markets ~ often local farmers sell for less.  It is fresh and right from the source.
  • Buy direct from the farmers, you save money by eliminating the middle man.
  • Check your local farmers listings at eatwild.com to find reputable farmers.
  • Buy in bulk.  You can easily buy a quarter side of beef or even a half and store it in the freezer.
  • Check out quality discount stores like Costco, that carry grass-fed meat for a reasonable price.
  • Buy less desired cuts of meat that require longer cooking times.  These cuts are usually very reasonably priced and taste amazing with longer cooking times (be sure to check out tomorrows recipe)!
  • Always buy cuts of meat on the bone.  The nutritional value is greater and so is the flavor.  These cuts of meats cost less too!

I want to discuss one more thing with you all…bones, the unsung hero in my humble opinion!

Buying Meat on The Bone Saves You $$$!

When I was a kid, and even until recently, I found eating meat on the bone just a little, well, creepy. I have since changed my mind drastically regarding this way of preparing meat.

For one, purchasing meat still on the bone is considerably less expensive! This recipe I am sharing tomorrow is a great example of that.

At only $12 for all of the ingredients, including the meat, it will easily feed four people. That’s only $3 a person for a delicious, hearty, nutritious meal!

grass fed beef on a budget | WholeLifestyleNutrition.com

Bones Are A Rich Source of Minerals

Even greater than the money we save are the nutritional benefits the bones themselves offer. After these beef shanks simmer down for 8 hours, the marrow within the bones becomes soft and buttery.

This is when I take the back end of my wooden spoon, and gracefully poke the beautiful marrow into the stew. It completes the dish with such an elegant richness.

The marrow of the bone is also where you’ll find one of the greatest concentrations of nutrients, no wonder it tastes so great!

Adding just a touch of acid–balsamic vinaigrette, in this recipe–also helps draw out nutrients from the bones.

So tomorrow I am sharing the most amazing recipe for slow-cooked beef shank. Oh yes, you all are in for a treat!

4fc496b371bbe66084f413e41aa1451c

About Eryn Lynum

Eryn Lynum lives in Kansas City, MO. She is a wife and mother of two young boys. She began blogging when her family set out on a journey of health in early 2012. They ditched process foods for a diet rich in whole, natural foods. She writes from the perspective of a woman once captive to a fear of food, which led her to suffer from anorexia for several years. Now her greatest fear has turned into one of her greatest passions! She writes on her own blog, From Famine to Foodie, to inspire, educate, and enable others to pursue a fuller life through nurturing their bodies, souls, and families! Visit her blog at www.erynlynum.com

20 thoughts on “How We Eat Grass Fed Beef On A Budget!”

1. Jennifer O'Brien Hoffman says:

the question shouldn’t be “what’s the cost?” the real question is “what’s it worth?”. your long term health should be the driving factor. Personally, I have saved enough much money on OTC medicine and doctor visits to balance the extra few dollars here and there for good meat and organic veggies.

2. Jennifer Roy says:

That’s all I buy for my family..

3. Melissa K Norris says:

If you buy it from a local farmer, you can buy a 1/2 or 1/4 beef for much cheaper than the store meat. The meat ends up being less than the grocery store, but it’s grass feed beef, in the cuts you want. Plus, you’re supporting a local farmer.

4. Abby Foster says:

I am so fortunate that I live in Montana…beef country. We buy from a local rancher who lives about 30 miles from us, so the meat never leaves our area. PERFECT!!

5. Jennifer Fera says:

I was quite disappointed by this post. It had no real information …

6. Whole Lifestyle Nutrition says:

Thanks for you feedback Jennifer, I had the points distributed throughout the post: Here they are: I also added this list to the post if you want to see it there. Again, appreciate the feedback.
    Bottom line here is what you need to do to save money when buying grass-fed beef.
    Check your local farmers markets ~ often local farmers sell for less. It is fresh and right from the source.
    Buy direct from the farmers, you save money by eliminating the middle man.
    Check your local farmers listings at eatwild.com to find reputable farmers.
    Buy in bulk. You can easily buy a quarter side of beef or even a half and store it in the freezer.
    Buy less desired cuts of meat that require longer cooking times. These cuts are usually very reasonably priced and taste amazing with longer cooking times (be sure to check out tomorrows recipe)!
    Always buy cuts of meat on the bone. The nutritional value is greater and so is the flavor. These cuts of meats cost less too!

7. Jennifer Fera says:

Thanks! I agree with the buy in bulk, but I also think everyone’s experiences are different depending on where you live. Around here it’s $9 a pound for hamburger from the farmers market.

8. Whole Lifestyle Nutrition says:

Have you tried contacting a farmer direct? I got a quarter side of beef for $400! Before I researched I paid a whopping $1300 for a quarter side. I contacted the local chapter of the WAPF for leads that were reputable! Have you looked into that Jennifer Fera? http://www.westonaprice.org

9. Eryn Lynum says:

@Jennifer O’Brien HoffmanVery well said and great points. It reminds me of the quote by Hippocrates:

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

Thanks for the thoughts!

10. Eryn Lynum says:

I agree that the price varies drastically by location. In Milwaukee we could never find brats from our farmers for less than around $12 a pound. Here in Kansas City we have found them for $5 a pound. But another vendor right across the market sells them for $9, so wherever the location, it pays to search around and compare prices and quality between farmers.

11. Terese says:

For those who don’t have access to local grass fed meats, you can
    order online at http://www.toplinefoods.com and they’ll ship to your door.
    They have consistent quality and source from family ranches in the
    Pacific Northwest where  the grasses  are naturally abundant. Here in
    Phoenix it can be hard to find grass fed meats locally, as you might
    imagine :-)

12. hallecottis says:

@Terese Thank you so much for this tip!

1. Halle Cottis says:

Where do you buy your grass fed meat locally Mike…since we live in the same neck of the woods??

13. ellen says:

All good ideas and I’d like to add a wrinkle.  Cooking anything for 8 hours uses a lot of fuel and adds $$.  If you get a pressure cooker you can cook any kind of beef (including on the bone) and it gets tender in under an hour.  Saves fuel, vitamins, time = saving $$.  I use mine multiple times a week, especially for bone broth.  Many recipes can be found on line.  Ellen

14. Eliza Joy Capps says:

Great article, Eryn. Wondering if you have any recommendations for a specific farm (close in proximity to KC) where we could look into ordering a portion of a cow? There seem to be several listed online but a personal recommendation is always ideal. Thanks!

1. Eryn Lynum says:

Thank you Eliza! We have tried grass-fed meats from a few farmers in the area, we get it all at the City Market downtown, which is open Saturday and Sunday mornings year-round. The best price we have found on grass-fed beef is from Natasha Farms. They actually come from Oklahoma, so they are not at the market every week, but you can call them to see when they’re coming or put in an order. Their phone number is 918-944-0664. They have great grass-fed beef shanks at the best price we have ever found (between $2/lb and $3lb, depending on the day I guess ;)

When Natasha Farms is not at the market, we like getting grass-fed and pastured meats from DanJo Farms (http://www.danjofarms.com/) I am not sure what either farms charge for portions of a cow. I do recall Natasha Farms quoting us around $3.80/lb for a half cow, which we plan on buying in the fall. Hope this helps!

15. Pingback: grass fed cow