Today I am super excited to introduce to you all A FREE 8 Week Dumbbell Challenge! In order to achieve your ideal health, I strongly believe that you have to eat right for your metabolic type and also incorporate a great exercise routine. Last year I did a FREE 30 day dumbbell challenge, and many of you shared with me that it was unrealistic to do a workout routine for 30 consecutive days. You know I have to agree with you all. So I decided to revamp this challenge into a more realistic 8 week challenge.
There is so much conflicting information on which exercises to do, which are best for you…cardio, weights, crossfit training, interval training, Pilates, Yoga the list goes on. Bottom line is you have to enjoy your workouts to stick to them and you have to have variety.
For me, I love Pilates! I love to incorporate Pilate exercises with a dumbbell routine. I believe in order to achieve your ultimate fitness health, you must include weights into your daily exercise program. A few years back when I was working toward my fitness goals, I was speed walking, biking, running and rollerblading. I had hit a plateau and had stayed there for several months.
I have an amazing fitness friend who is also a personal trainer and she kept saying to me “Halle, you have to add weights to your routine!” Maybe she was right. I have always read that muscle burns more calories for a longer period of time. In one of my favorite books Smart Girls Do Dumbbells, It is stated that ” Muscle is a twenty-four-hour furnace, allowing you to burn more calories even at rest. Muscle is the body’s major metabolic booster. The famous “yo-yo” dieting syndrome is a result of muscle loss, if you diet without exercising, you lose muscle along with fat and the loss of muscle tissue translates into a slowdown, sometimes a shutdown of your metabolism. Eating less will help you lose weight, but building muscle will help you keep it off.” Hmmmm…. so I began adding weights to my exercise routine and I was amazed at the results! Click here to read about my body transformation and why you should ditch the scale!
An exercise ball and weights are needed for this challenge
I do not have an expensive gym in my house. I have a few great videos and some inexpensive dumbbells (5, 8, 10, 12 & 15 pound weights), an exercise mat, an exercise ball, a few kettle bells and some exercise bands. Again, an exercise ball and weights of choice are needed for this challenge. All of these items can be found at any superstore such as Walmart or Target and I have also listed these items below this post through amazon.
When buying an exercise ball be sure to buy the right size for you. Buy the following size ball for your height.
55 cm – 4’11″ – 5’4″
65 cm – 5’5″ – 5’11″
75 cm – 6’0″ – 6′ 7″
If you are just starting out with weights, buy yourself 3, 5 or 8 pound dumbbells. It doesn’t seem like a lot of weight but we will be doing these exercise in 2-3 sets with 10-12 reps in each set. It is better to start out with a smaller amount of weight and increase the weight as you progress. You can tell if you have the right amount of weight if at the end of the repetitions, the last two specifically, they should be a bit challenging to do but you still can complete the repetition with good form. Remember if you feel pain you should stop and as always consult a physician before starting any exercise program.
So here is how this challenge is going to work
- This challenge can be started at anytime. Always start with week 1, week 2, week 3…week 8 and so on. Once you start the challenge, continue on it for 8 consecutive weeks.
- For your next 8 weeks, I have pre done daily posts with the exercises that you need to do for your specific week. Each week you will be given a dumbbell routine on Monday, Wednesday & Friday and a stretching routine on Saturday/Sunday.
- A library of workouts can be found under the “coaching” tab at the top of this website under “Free 8 Week Dumbbell Challenge” I am doing this as I go and the start date is January 7, 2013 so please note that the library won’t be complete until 8 weeks from that date. Follow along with us! We will be doing updates on our Facebook Page as we work our way through this program.
- I will include an animated image (courtesy of an amazing free site dumbbell-exercises.com & ball-exercises.com) showing you how to do the exercise.
- The only equipment needed is an exercise ball and dumbbells.
- You will get 4 workouts a week showing you how to do the exercises: 3 dumbbell workout routines and 1 stretch workout routine.
- So if I work your chest and arms, then I will not work them the next few days and so forth. I will work different muscles throughout this program.
- Support can be found at any time in the posts below the animated exercises in the comment section that reads “Join The Conversation” & on our Facebook Page. Every comment will be answered. Share your support, successes, challenges, questions, and feedback in this section.
- Incorporate this exercise program into your daily exercise routine and you will be amazed how tone and fit you can get in 8 weeks!
- Don’t have an exercise routine? Start out with this 8 week challenge and you will see results!
- Please sign in (below) so we can get to know you better. If you would like to submit a before and after picture, fill the form out below! We would love to see your transformation! (this is not required)
- Once your 8 week Dumbbell Challenge is done, challenge yourself again for another 8 weeks but increase your weights to intensify your workouts!
- Click here if you want to receive these post in your inbox for FREE?
Please Sing In & Share Your Story With Us
- One of the easiest ways to stick with a program is to do it with a group of like minded people. Well we are your group! Please sign in so we can get to know you and help you through this.
- We would love to hear your story! Anything goes…struggles, successes, challenges, victories, you get the idea!
- We also would love to see your transformation from this 8 week challenge. Please feel free to leave us a before and/or after picture in the form below.
Please note: This is not required.
Before You Get Started
Are you up for the challenge?
I will have a section under the “Coaching” tab called “Free 8 Week Dumbbell Challenge” where you can go back and view past workouts. Please note in these pictures you will see a workout bench. You do not have to use a workout bench if you do not have one. Most of these exercises can be done right on your exercise ball. I use my ball as a bench, and a chair. No expensive equipment needed. How easy is that? As always, listen to your bodies language. If you feel pain, stop.
View a sample of what the challenge looks like!
Here is a sample of what the challenge will look like. You will be given 5-6 exercises with the descriptions of how to properly do the exercises (see image below). Click here to SEE A FULL DAYS SAMPLE!
- Stand up and hold one dumbbell with each hand down the side of your body, palms facing each other.
- Raise both dumbbells until they reach your shoulders’ height and slowly lower them back down after a short pause.
- Try NOT to jerk your upper body in an effort to help you lift the weights.
My Recommendations For Exercise Equipment & Books
[easyazon-block align="none" asin="1573223867" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B000GB5M0G" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B000A6T1LS" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B003TROV60" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B003TRMPC2" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B000LGZIV4" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B000VDXFU8" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B00074H8BI" locale="us"]
Do you have questions? Need some additional support?
Do You Know Someone Who Might Enjoy This Challenge?
Please Share this homepage of the challenge with them! You will have greater success if you have someone, or a group of individuals, who will support you in your journey! Lets do this thing!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Your support keeps this blog running and is greatly appreciated. AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Whole Lifestyle Nutrition is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here.