It isn’t often that a recipe surprises me and gets me this excited! What am I so excited about? I have finally created a delicious spelt dinner roll that is light and airy and isn’t as dense as a brick! What’s even better is that they only take 30 minutes to make from start to finish! These are yeast rolls and typically you have to allow the rolls to proof (or rise) for several hours. Well this recipe takes out all the wait time and will have you just as excited as I am….for real!!
How do I achieve creating these rolls in such little time? I do so by soaking the yeast for 15 minutes. This speeds up the process of the yeast allowing it to rise much more quickly. I simple add the warm water, yeast, Rapadura Organic Whole Sugar or Organic Sucanat and oil. I allow it to sit for 15 minutes and then add in the flour, egg, and salt. I allow the mixer to knead for 2 minutes and the dough is ready to roll into 12 balls as shown in this picture above.
After the balls are formed allow to sit for 10 more minutes and then cook in a 400°F oven for another 10 minutes or until they turn slightly golden brown on the top. Brush the tops with a little melted butter and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. Serve warm and enjoy!
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp warm water
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sucanat, or rapunzel
- 1 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 1/2 cup spelt flour, sprouted spelt flour or white spelt flour (any of these would work)
- poppy or sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In your mixer bowl combine water, coconut oil, yeast and sugar. Mix and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Using your dough hook attachment, mix in the salt, egg and flour. Knead with hook until dough is smooth and soft (about 2 minutes).
- Form dough into 12 balls and place into a greased 9"x13" pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle some poppy or sesame seeds on top.
Recipe inspired by RealMomKitchen.com
- Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sucanat Brown Sugar -- 2 lbs
- Price: $6.86
- One 8 oz Bob's Red Mill Active Dry Yeast Gluten Free
- Price: $4.99
This post was featured on Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Meatless Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Make Your Own Monday, Hearth & Soul Hop, Fat Tuesday,Fresh Bites Friday, Freaky Friday, Fight Back FridayPAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Your support keeps this blog running and is greatly appreciated.