I remember the first time I tried salted carmel ice cream. I was at a fine dining restaurant and a server highly recommended the salted carmel ice cream. How strange, I though…who would want salt and carmel together. But I alway go with the servers recommendation and ordered it. It was absolutely fantastic! The sweet and salty worked so perfectly with the creamy ice cream. Such a perfect combination of flavors, I was amazed. So anytime I am out and see salted carmel ice cream, I am sure to order it.
I actually stumbled upon this recipe by accident. I had just got a fresh shipment of raw milk and my girls were dying for some homemade ice cream. I was out of Rapunzel (organic whole cane sugar, unrefined and unbleached), so I grabbed the next sweetener I had…organic coconut sugar. I have found that organic coconut sugar makes for a good brown sugar substitute. So I substituted this sugar in and it quickly colored my cream to a nicely brown tint. I grabbed a little taste and new I was onto something. I was so excited when I sampled my finished product as it brought me back to that day that I tried my first bite of salted carmel ice cream. Absolutely delicious!
Nutrition Info: Calories: 173.6 Fat: 13.5g Carbohydrates: 11.7g Protein: 1.8g
- 1 1/2 cups raw or organic whole milk
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 cups heavy raw or organic whipping cream
- 1 cup raw or organic half and half
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- course unrefined sea salt
- Pour milk and sugar in bowl and whisk until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Add cream, half and half, vanilla and stir well.
- Put into ice cream mixture and follow manufactures instructions.
- Allow ice cream to harden in freezer for 4 hours if you are wanting a firmer ice cream.
- Add a serving into a serving dish and top ice cream with a sprinkle of course (do not use fine, the course makes this dish) celtic sea salt.
Grab The Whole Lifestyle Nutrition Cookbook, Real Food Made Simple for more great recipes!
Don’t have all the ingredients? No problem! Click on links below to see about purchasing these product.