One of my favorite dishes growing up was moms chicken pot pie. What’s not to love? A creamy gooey center, big chunks of chicken, flavorful veggies and a delicious flakey crust to top it off! Chicken pot pie however is usually loaded with carbohydrates, calories and other unwanted ingredients! Could I create a delicious and healthy chicken pot pie? The answer to that question is yes!
I am so excited about finally getting this recipe to you all! It has been quite the recipe to create. First I had to create a homemade cream of chicken soup that could be used as a base in this recipe. Next I had to create a flakey pie crust (and you know me…it needed to be grain free and gluten free). Both of these recipes needed to be created easily and quickly so you weren’t spending the whole day in the kitchen. Finally I had to create the filling, which was the easy part…all your favorite veggies and some organic chicken. This dish can be prepared in about a half hours time, not bad for chicken pot pie from scratch! So what are you waiting for? Here is a delicious gluten and grain free chicken pot pie that I promise won’t disappoint!
Organic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Nutrition Info: Calories: 383.0 Fat: 23.5g Carbohydrates: 27.8g Protein: 15.9g
Serves: 8 pieces
- 1 serving (the whole recipe) of homemade condensed cream of chicken, see recipe
- 1 gluten and grain free pie crust, see recipe
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or grass fed butter
- 1 cup carrots cut into small pieces
- ½ cup celery cut into small pieces
- ½ cup onion cut into small pieces
- 1 organic potato chopped
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked organic chicken cut into pieces.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Make the condensed cream of chicken soup and set aside.
- In a skillet, over medium heat sauté carrots, onions and celery until slightly tender (about 5-7 minutes).
- In a large bowl add potatoes, peas, chicken and the cooked carrots, celery and onions.
- Add the homemade condensed cream of chicken soup and mix well and place in an un greased 9? pie dish. You can also use individual ramekins if you want (as shown in the picture)
- Prepare the crust as directed in the recipe, but do not bake and do not put in the pie dish.
- Drape the rolled out pie crust dough over the top of the vegetable mixture in the pie pan and crimp the edges. There is no crust on the bottom.
- Add small slits into the crust to allow the steam to escape while cooking.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1 piece