Shepherd's Pie, Holistic Recipe
This recipe is a classic with a Halle twist that will have you wanting more!
Author: Halle Cottis
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1-3 tbsp half and half or coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup frozen organic peas
- ½ cup blanched sliced carrots
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (can use grass fed beef or bison)
- ¾ cup chicken or beef stock
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder thinned with 2 tsp cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If using ground beef or bison, season the meat with herbs of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Break cauliflower into florets and steam until just tender. Put in a food processor and add 2 tbsp butter, blend until well blended. Add 1-3 tbsp of half and half to make it smooth but still thick, adding a tbsp at a time. Add ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onions for a few minutes and then add your ground Italian sausage.
- Brown for 5-8 minutes, breaking the meat into small pieces.
- Stir in peas, carrots and broth and any remaining spices, salt or pepper and simmer a few minutes.
- Add 2 tsp of water to 2 tsp of arrowroot powder.
- Add to dish.
- As soon as it thickens up, pull of burner and put the contents in a 2 qt casserole dish.
- Top with the mashed cauliflower.
- Take 1 tbsp of butter and cut it into small pieces and spread it out on top of the mashed cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika and bake for 30-40 minutes.
All ingredients in this recipe are organic.
Serving size: Serves 6, Serving size is ⅙th of the casserole Calories: 359.6 Fat: 23.5 Carbohydrates: 14.1 Protein: 23.8