So just what is a dutch baby pancake? According to the Wikipedia, A Dutch baby pancake, sometimes called a German pancake, a Bismarck, or a Dutch puff, is a sweet breakfast dish similar to Yorkshire pudding and derived from the German Apfelpfannkuchen. It is made with eggs, flour and milk, and usually seasoned with vanilla and cinnamon, although occasionally sugar is also added. It is baked in a metal pan and falls soon after being removed from the oven. It is generally served with fresh squeezed lemon, butter, and powdered sugar or fruit toppings or syrup.
I served mine with diced apples and sifted some cinnamon over the Dutch baby pancake and drizzled some maple syrup over it. It was amazing. You could also put the diced apples right into the Dutch baby pancake and the apples will bake as the Dutch baby pancake cooks. Another way to prepare this delicious treat is to spread your favorite fruit preserve onto the pancake or top it with some mixed berries and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. You can come up with many different creations. Enjoy.
Nutrition Info: Calories: 376.0 Fat: 30.6g Carbohydrates: 14.9g Protein: 13.4g
- 3 large organic eggs
- 3/4 cup fresh coconut milk, see video for recipe
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut palm sugar
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- dash of unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp grass fed butter
- apples, strawberries, mixed berries to garnish
- maple syrup to drizzle over dutch baby pancakes
- Preheat oven to 475 F.
- Heat a 12? cast iron skillet (if you are opposed to a cast iron skillet, you could use a stainless steel pan) for 10 minutes.
- In the mean time mix together eggs, coconut milk, vanilla extract, coconut palm sugar, almond flour, arrowroot powder, sea salt and cinnamon.
- Pull the hot pan out of the oven and add the 3 tbsp of butter.Swirl around the pan until melted.
- Add egg mixture to the hot pan and put back into oven and cook for 13-15 minutes.
- Serve with fruit of choice and drizzle with some maple syrup.
Grab The Whole Lifestyle Nutrition Cookbook, Real Food Made Simple for more great recipes!
Don’t have all the ingredients? No problem, click on the links below to see about purchasing the ingredients!