I don’t know about you, but I use to have a heck of a time getting my kids and husband to eat their veggies! I usually didn’t have any issues with carrots, potatoes, green beans, peas and other similar vegetables but when it came to broccoli and cauliflower my girls always turned their noses up to them and refused to eat them. So I set out to find a way to enjoy these two amazing vegetables and found a method to prepare them so that the whole family would enjoy them and better yet are now asking me to make them!
What method am I talking about? I am talking about roasting them. Let me tell you, when you roast these two vegetables, it brings out a nutty flavor in them and they mellow out quite a bit. I can remember when I was a kid and we went to grandmas house and everything smelled so wonderful UNTIL…the broccoli went on to cook! Oh my goodness, when it was steaming it had such a bad oder to it that my thoughts were always, why would anyone want to eat this?
Well as I grew up, I recognized the nutritional value of these two vegetables and eventually fit them into my diet, but it was always a chore to say the least. It wasn’t until recently that my family and I became excited to eat these vegetables.
Oh and did I mention, when you roast these vegetables, that bad smelling order I was talking about at grandmas house is gone! Give it a try, I am sure that you will taste a noticeable difference too! These two recipes are absolutely wonderful!
- 1 very large head of broccoli (about 1½ pounds)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced (depending on how big your cloves are)
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter melted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½-3/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Clean and break off the heads of the broccoli into bite size pieces and place into a large ziplock bag.
- Peel and sliced the garlic very thinly. Place into bag.
- Pour olive oil and melted butter over the broccoli and sprinkle the salt and pepper over the broccoli.
- Zip the bag closed and shake until well coated.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- 1 very large head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp melted grass fed butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut up cauliflower into small pieces and wash and dry them.
- Place cauliflower into a large ziplock bag and pour over the melted butter and coconut oil/olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika. Shake the bag until cauliflower is well coated.
- Place cauliflower pieces onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes turning several time so that the cauliflower browns evenly. Don't be afraid of them getting to brown, that is what makes them good!
- Serve with my homemade ketchup, See Recipe
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
This post was featured on Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Homestead Barn Hop, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth & Soul Hop, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Foy Update, Creative Juices, Keep it Real Thursday, Fresh Bites Friday, Freaky Friday, Fill Those Jars Friday, Gluten Free Friday, Simple Living Friday