I posted a great recipe the other day, Organic Pastured Fresh Ham Recipe With An Apricot Honey Glaze. In this recipe I cooked a delicious ham and of course, I always save the bones to make soup later on in the week. Here is that recipe! By utilizing every part of the ham (the bones) you can create a delicious leftover soup recipe! This soup takes a little preparation and requires some soaking, but it really is quite simple to make. I think you all are really going to enjoy this delicious soup recipe!
- 2 1/2 cups mixed dried beans (I used 13 bean soup mix)
- 2 1/2 quarts filtered water
- Leftover ham hock (mine was about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tsp Herbs de Provence or Thyme
- 2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup celery (include the celery leaves) chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2-3 cups fresh pastured ham, chopped
- Rinse and soak 2 1/2 cups of dried beans overnight in filtered water and 2 1/2 Tbsp vinegar.
- The next morning drain and rinse beans.
- Add 2 1/2 quarts of filtered water to a large stock pot.
- Add ham hock, beans, Herbs de Provence or thyme and simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours add the unrefined sea salt, onion, carrots, and celery and mix well. Cook for another hour.
- Remove meat from ham hock, shred and add it to the soup. I added about 2-3 cups of meat to the soup.
- Allow to simmer for 30 additional minutes. Serve hot.
This post is featured on Sunday Night Soup Night
Don’t have all the ingredients? No problem! Click on the links below to find out where you can purchase them.
[easyazon-block align="none" asin="B0001BN154" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B0001AVSO6" locale="us"][easyazon-block align="none" asin="B000EITYUU" locale="us"]
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Your support keeps this blog running and is greatly appreciated. AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Whole Lifestyle Nutrition is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here.