Last night I made this delicious steak salad! For Valentines day, my husband made a surf and turf and we had some left over steak. So I sliced it very thinly and topped it on a salad. But what makes this salad so special are the onion straws that gives this salad so much flavor and quite a crunch. They are super easy to make and add so much texture and flavor to this salad. Enjoy!
Nutrition Info: Calories: 432.8 Fat: 20.5g Carbohydrates: 29.2g Protein: 32.0g
- 4 cups mixed organic salad greens
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 oz gorgonzola cheese
- 2 oz raw pecans
- 8 oz cooked steak, sliced thinly
- salad dressing of choice, I use my Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing recipe, see recipe
- 1 small onion
- 2-4 tbsp potato starch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup raw milk or coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- In a large bowl toss the mixed salad greens, dried cranberries, gorgonzola cheese, and raw pecans.
- Place mixture into 2 serving bowls or plates.
- Top each plate/bowl with the thinly sliced steak.
- For the onion straws, cut 1 onion into strips very thinly.
- Pour milk over onions and allow to sit for several minutes.
- In another bowl add potato starch (you could also use tapioca starch) and season it very liberally with salt and pepper.
- With tongs add onion straws a few at a time, and toss and coat.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon of coconut oil. Allow the coconut oil to get hot (about 2 minutes).
- Add the onion straws and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. You may need to do this step a few times and cook the onion straws in 2 batches.
- Drain onto a paper towel and top onto the salad.
Grab The Whole Lifestyle Nutrition Cookbook, Real Food Made Simple for more great recipes!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Your support keeps this blog running and is greatly appreciated. AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Whole Lifestyle Nutrition is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here.