Welcome to Whole Lifestyle Nutrition!
We are glad you are here! First of all, let us start by sharing with you our beliefs. Here at Whole Lifestyle Nutrition we believe that food is our best medicine and that getting healthy starts in the kitchen!
We believe in eating real food! By real food we mean food that is unprocessed, whole and unrefined. Food should not come out of a box, but should come from local farmers, farmers markets or your own organic garden, and quality fresh markets.
Before I go any further, let me introduce myself. My name is Halle Cottis and I am owner and CEO of Whole Lifestyle Nutrition.
I currently live in Wisconsin and have a passion for food, health & Nutrition and organic gardening. This is the place where I share my journey with you all. Feel free to read more about my journey in my about page.
To help you navigate through my site, here is a quick tour.
- If you are interested in delicious wholesome food, check out my recipe page and discover all the amazing recipes that I have shared.
- Do you need some help planning your healthy meals for your family? Great news help is here! Check out our members meal plan site.
- Are you interested in growing your own organic food? It really is quite simple and so rewarding to bring your own food to the dinner table. Check out our organic gardening section to see how easy it is to grow delicious, wholesome food in just a little space!
- Also be sure to check out our great videos where I take you into my kitchen for some delicious cooking and out into my garden for some great gardening tips!
- Are you interested in viewing some great articles on food bloggers tips, food photography, health and fitness and food related articles? We have all that too! We even have some amazing articles on travel!
- We also invite you to visit our store where you can shop for our cookbooks, our weight loss packages and our customized nutrition & metabolic e-courses.
Wondering how to get started? Let us help you with that!
Here are a few tips that we feel will help you through this process.
- Visit our blog daily for helpful tips, recipes and other great articles that will help you transform your life to a healthier lifestyle!
- Subscribe to our site for FREE so you don’t miss a thing!
- Sign up for our newsletter for exclusive content. You can sign up on the homepage of our website in the right hand column.
- Join us on Facebook for exclusive content and some pretty amazing stuff! Become our Fan today!
- Join us on Pinterest! We have some pretty amazing content all over Pinterest! Come check it out!
- We are also on Instagram. Want a more personal experience with Whole Lifestyle Nutrition? Follow us on Instagram!
- Next buy our cookbook for exclusive recipes that are easy and delicious! This cookbook will make this whole process stress free. We understand that changing your diet can be stressful and who has the time to spend all day in the kitchen, right? This cookbook focuses on recipes that our healthy, delicious and on getting you in and out of the kitchen in under a half hour.
- Next, why not try a FREE week of our membership meal plan service! It’s free, what do you have to lose?
- Are you into photography? How about food photography? It can be tricky can’t it? Join us for our photography series where we teach you the tricks and tips to shooting better pictures.
Check out our great packages to help transform your lifestyle to a healthier you!
To make things even easier, we have created a great cookbook for those of you getting started, or for anyone just needing some wonderful, healthy recipes! In this cookbook we focused on recipes that will get you in and out of the kitchen with preparation times being under a half hour! We know you are busy, and starting or maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be a bit time consuming and overwhelming. This cookbook will simplify things for you and allow you and your family to enjoy wonderful, healthy recipes that you can trust are great for you! To purchase this cookbook, read more about it, or to hear what other customers are saying about this cookbook, head on over to our store to learn more about The Whole Lifestyle Nutrition Cookbook, Real Food Made Simple Volume 1.
When It Comes To Meal Plans, We have a lot to offer you! What if we told you
- we can simplify your life
- we can take the stress out of “What’s for dinner”
- we can reduce your grocery bill even while choosing healthy organic real food ingredients
- we can get you in and out of the kitchen every night in as little as half hours time
- that you no longer have to spend countless hours planning your meals for the week, that we have done it for you
- that you no longer have to worry about creating a grocery list and budgeting your meals, that we have done it for you
- that you no longer have to worry about how to prep your meals for the week to reduce your time in the kitchen, that we have done it for you
- that you no longer have to search for delicious, healthy and nourishing recipes, that we have created them for you
- that you no longer have to search for support for your real food journey, that we have created a members area that offers you all the support that you will need
Got your attention? Learn more about our amazing meal plan here!
Need some help finding a new workout program that guarantees results? Well look no further! Sculpt the body of your dreams with this FREE 30 Day Dumbbell Challenge or our FREE 8 Week Dumbbell Challenge! In order to achieve your ideal health, I strongly believe that you have to incorporate a great exercise routine.
There is so much conflicting information on which exercises to do, which are best for you…cardio, weights, crossfit training, interval training, Pilates, Yoga the list goes on.
Bottom line is you have to enjoy your workouts to stick to them and you have to have variety.
For me, I love Pilates! I love to incorporate Pilate exercises with a dumbbell routine. I believe in order to achieve your ultimate fitness health, you must include weight training into your daily exercise program.
Very simply put from one of my favorite authors ~ Judith Sherman-Wolin
”Muscle is a twenty-four-hour furnace, allowing you to burn more calories even at rest. Muscle is the body’s major metabolic booster. The famous “yo-yo” dieting syndrome is a result of muscle loss, if you diet without exercising, you lose muscle along with fat and the loss of muscle tissue translates into a slowdown, sometimes a shutdown of your metabolism. Eating less will help you lose weight, but building muscle will help you keep it off.” ~ Judith Sherman- Wolin
Below we have highlighted a few topics to help you better understand our beliefs.
Eating organic food is best when ever possible. Organic food is grown or raised without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicide, or fertilizers. It can be hard to convert fully to an all organic diet, do it in small steps. You are more likely to stick with it if you gradually switch over to organic food. You can read my article Organic On A Budget! 10 Tips To Help You Buy Organic Food For Less for helpful advise when purchasing organic food. The most important foods to eat organically are the “dirty thirteen”. These fruits and vegetables show the highest amounts of pesticide residue. Start with switching these foods first and then gradually add other items.
- Imported Grapes
- Red Raspberries
- Bell Peppers
- Hot Peppers
We believe that fat, specifically saturated fats, are good for you. Good sources of fat are
- Grass Fed Butter or raw butter
- Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Organic Grass Fed Ghee
- Animal Fats from healthy, organic, grass fed sources.
- Organic Olive Oil (although it is not a saturated fat, it is a good source of monounsaturated fat). Olive oil is best unheated.
Dairy should be raw if possible. By raw we mean unpasteurized and unhomogenized and from a grass fed source. It can be difficult to get raw milk. Many states prohibit the sales of raw milk. To check you local resources to see where to purchase raw milk visit The Weston A. Price Foundation. If you are unable to get raw milk, then you can try coconut milk. If none of these sources are available then organic would be your next best option.
Yogurt is fine, but again, if you can get it from a raw source then that would be your best option. Look for plain unsweetened greek yogurt. Full fat is always best because it is less processed. Add your own sweetener or fresh fruit for a healthier yogurt.
Cheeses should be raw. Raw cheeses are a bit more easier to locate.
Butter should be raw when possible. If you can not find a raw source, then look for grass fed butter. Your next option would be organic.
Soy should be avoided at all cost. Soy effects your thyroid, oftentimes contributing to low thyroid function. Low thyroid function can lead to weight gain or problems with weight loss or maintaining a healthy weight. It can contribute to low energy, depression and a decreased sex drive. Soy also has hormonal effects. Here is a summary, from Dr. Mercola,of soy’s most glaring problems. Be sure to read the labels when shopping for products. You might be quite surprised how much soy are in today’s processed products.
If you choose to eat soy, be sure to eat organic and properly fermented soy. Fermented soy products include:
- Soy Sauce – be careful with this however because most soy sauce in the markets today are made artificially. A good alternative to soy sauce is liquid aminos.
Grains and Gluten
Grains – A lot of my recipes are gluten and grain free. Do I believe that all grains are terrible for you? No. However I do believe that grains have been altered dramatically over the past 50 years. If one is trying to lose or maintain a healthy weight, it might be beneficial to eliminate processed grains from their diets. Processed grains can stall your weight loss or for some even make them gain weight. Processed grains convert quickly to sugar which then can spike your blood sugar. If your blood sugar fluctuates then it is difficult to lose or maintain a healthy weight. Also, most processed grains today are genetically modified. If you are going to consumes grains you want to prepare them the traditional ways. Sprouting, fermenting, and soaking grains are healthy alternative when wanting to consume grains.
Gluten – Many people have a gluten intolerance and don’t even realize it. Gluten is a special kind of protein found in many members of the grain family. It is commonly found in breads, baked goods, cereals and many other products out there. Some people can not digest this protein which makes them gluten intolerant. Gluten intolerant symptoms are
- Constipation, diarrhea, bloating
- Depression and fatigue
- skin disorders such as eczema
- Irritability and difficulty focusing
- abdominal pain
- weigh gain or problems with losing
Water is one of the most important elements to a healthy lifestyle. Our bodies are made up of approximately 75% water. Many of us are not drinking enough water to function at our best. You should be drinking half your bodies weight (in ounces) of water daily. That means if you weight 150 pounds, you should be consuming 75 ounces of water a day. If you have a caffeinated beverage (example: 10 oz of coffee), then you should replenish your body with 10 additional ounces of water, bringing your total to 85 oz that day.
Here are the benefits of drinking enough water
- Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat
- Water is a natural diuretic
- Drinking enough water is the best treatment for water retention
- Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration
- Water helps rid the body of waste.
- Water can help relieve constipation
It is important to be drinking clean and filtered water. Reverse Osmosis is your best option. You can easily and affordably install one in your home. Watts Premier RO-Pure 4-Stage Reverse Osmosis System
Salts should be unrefined sea salts. Redmond’s Real salt and Celtic Sea Salt are your best options. Your body needs salt to function at its optimal health. Unrefined sea salts are
- known to help balance blood pressure
- great for hypertension
- better for diabetics
- contains no added chemicals/anti-caking agents
- contains all of the minerals of the ocean, not just NaCl
- Doctor recommended
- helps balance your blood sugar
- helps regulate proper electrolyte balance
Natural Sweeteners should be used in moderation. One needs to be in tuned with their body to recognize when and if their blood sugar fluctuates when consuming sugar. Good sources of sweetener come in their most natural, unrefined forms. The following sweeteners are acceptable sweeteners.
- Organic raw honey
- 100% pure maple syrup
- Pure stevia (preferably out of your own garden, see our video to learn how to grow and make your own stevia)
- Coconut Palm Sugar
- Rapunzel (unrefined & unbleached organic whole cane sugar)
- organic dark chocolate
- unsweetened applesauce
Our food chain has changed dramatically over the past 50 years. Scientist have altered our food so much that our bodies don’t even recognize it as food anymore. We need to go back to the beginning and do things the way it was intended to be done.
Here are some guidelines to follow when purchasing animal products.
- Grass fed – Cows, Sheep, buffalo were designed to eat grass. However, ranchers have been feeding them grains to make them fat and sell more meat. These animals were not built to eat grains and therefore quickly get sick. They are then given a constant dose of antibiotics and the quality of the protein in their meat quickly declines. You are what you eat! Ask yourself this question. If the ranchers are feeding these animals grains to fatten them up, and we eat the grain fed beef, wouldn’t we have the same effect?
- Free Range Organic Poultry – When it comes to poultry, it is also important that the chickens be eating what they were intended to eat. Chickens are suppose to have free range to roam the grassy land and eat bugs, grass and natural ingredients. They were not designed to be in small cages, eating corn and soy and other grains. If a chicken is truly free roaming, its eggs will be a nice bright orange yolk. The eggs are only as good as the chickens.
- Wild Caught Seafood – The same is true when it comes to fish. Did you know that farm raised fish are also being feds grains! Grains, for real? I don’t know about you, but I don’t see any grains floating around in lakes or oceans. Fish are not built to eat grains. They get sick quickly and again we start to run into problems. It is best to always buy wild caught seafood/fish. By doing this, you can rest assure that the fish were healthy and living in their own natural habitat.
We are very pleased to have teamed up with amazon to offer all of these wonderful ingredients all in one convenient spot ! For a detailed list of where to purchase these ingredients, feel free to visit Whole Lifestyle Nutrition’s Store!