Welcome to Whole Lifestyle Nutrition!
We are glad you are here! First of all, let us start by sharing with you our beliefs. Here at Whole Lifestyle Nutrition we believe that food is our best medicine and that getting healthy starts in the kitchen! We believe in eating real food! By real food we mean food that is unprocessed, whole and unrefined. Food should not come out of a box, but should come from local farmers, farmers markets or your own organic garden, and quality fresh markets. We believe that in order to be truly healthy and fit, we all need to discover our unique biochemical or metabolic needs, and then tailor our diets in a manner that will effectively support those needs. To learn more about this and to view our customize nutrition and metabolic e-course visit our Coaching Page.
Before I go any further, let me introduce myself. My name is Halle Cottis and I am owner and CEO of Whole Lifestyle Nutrition. I currently live in Wisconsin and have a passion for food, health & Nutrition and organic gardening. This is the place where I share my journey with you all. Feel free to read more about my journey in my about page.
To help you navigate through my site, here is a quick tour. If you are interested in delicious wholesome food, check out my recipe page and discover all the amazing recipes that I have shared. Are you looking to improve your health, lose or maintain a healthy weight without dieting and restricting calories, improve your stress, increase your energy, and much much more? Head on over to our lifestyle coaching page to learn more. We also have a Beginners Weight Loss Package and One on One Monthly Weight Loss Counseling!
Are you interested in growing your own organic food? It really is quite simple and so rewarding to bring your own food to the dinner table. Check out our organic gardening section to see how easy it is to grow delicious, wholesome food in just a little space! Also be sure to check out our great videos where I take you into my kitchen for some delicious cooking and out into my garden for some great gardening tips! We also invite you to visit our store where you can shop for our cookbooks, our weight loss packages and our customized nutrition & metabolic e-courses.
Wondering how to get started? Let us help you with that!
Here are a few tips that we feel will help you through this process.
FREE Mini E-course:
Intro to Metabolic Me
- Visit our blog daily for helpful tips, recipes and other great articles that will help you transform your life to a healthier lifestyle!
- Next buy our cookbook for exclusive recipes that are easy and delicious! This cookbook will make this whole process stress free. We understand that changing your diet can be stressful and who has the time to spend all day in the kitchen, right? This cookbook focuses on recipes that our healthy, delicious and on getting you in and out of the kitchen in under a half hour. With this cookbook you also get a Free Half Hour Consultation (A $50 Value!). In this consultation, we can answer your questions and help you get started transforming your life to a healthier you! (See Below)
- Next, transform your pantry & fridge with this great pantry & fridge makeover package (see below). Here, we will educate and help you stock your kitchen with the right healthy foods. Lets face it, there is so much conflicting information out there it is no wonder we are all confused! This is where we can help!
- If you are a beginner at eating whole, unrefined foods and are looking to lose some weight, than our Beginners Customized One on One Weight Loss Package is perfect for you!
- Are you the type of person who needs some additional support during your weight loss journey? Our One on One Monthly Weight Loss Counseling might be the right fit for you!
- If you would like to tackle other road blocks that might be prohibiting a healthy lifestyle and you need more personalized one on one support we have some great lifestyle packages to help you with that! (See below)
- Finally, we offer a great e-course that is customized just for you and your nutritional needs! For a FREE look into our awesome e-course, sign up today for this FREE mini e-course that gives you a great introduction of this Metabolic Me E-Course! Sign up form is just to your right →
Check out our great packages to help transform your lifestyle to a healthier you!
To make things even easier, we have created a great cookbook for those of you getting started, or for anyone just needing some wonderful, healthy recipes! In this cookbook we focused on recipes that will get you in and out of the kitchen with preparation times being under a half hour! We know you are busy, and starting or maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be a bit time consuming and overwhelming. This cookbook will simplify things for you and allow you and your family to enjoy wonderful, healthy recipes that you can trust are great for you! To purchase this cookbook, read more about it, or to hear what other customers are saying about this cookbook, head on over to our store to learn more about The Whole Lifestyle Nutrition Cookbook, Real Food Made Simple Volume 1.
We understand that this all can be a little overwhelming, especially if you are just getting started! To make this an easier process for you we have created a package to help you transform your pantry with healthy ingredients. Lets face it, many of us don’t know what is healthy and what is not! There is so much conflicting information out there it is no wonder we are all confused. That is where we come in. With this package, via Skype, Telephone, or in person, we will head into your pantry & fridge and educate you on the ingredients that you have. We will help you discover which foods can stay and which foods need to be tossed. We will also provide you with a shopping list and resources to get you started quickly and stress free. We will show you how to read labels and which hidden ingredients to look for. We will educate you on how to shop at your local grocery stores. Visit our store to learn more about this great Pantry & Fridge Makeover Package!
Have you tried diet after diet and still nothing seems to work? Often times diets are temporary fixes only to find out that all the weight will eventually come back on. How frustrating to lose the weight and then to gain it back shortly after. Does this sound like you? Well I have exciting news for you! You do not have to diet to lose weight or to be healthy ever again! Let me say that again! You do not have to diet to lose weight or to be healthy!
I know sounds a bit crazy, but let me explain. We are all unique individuals! What is right for one person could be totally wrong for the next. That is why diets don’t work. Each one of us have unique individual needs. There is no greater or more powerful influence on your health than the food you eat. By eating according to your Metabolic Type, you can make food your medicine and not your poison. Only the right foods eaten in the right proportions of proteins, fats and carbohydrates can be fully converted to energy.
Through Metabolic Typing, you can discover your own individual needs and start eating the right foods to properly nourish yourself! In my beginners program, you will find out what your metabolic type is and how you can choose the right foods that will properly fuel your body. Once you start eating the right foods and proportions for your individual riquirements, you will naturally start to lose weight without ever dieting. So are you ready to discover your metabolic type and stop this yo yo dieting once and for all? This is going to be a life altering moment for you.
Are you the type of person who needs a little additional personalized support to help you stay on track? Do you oftentimes have roadblocks that you just don’t know how to work through them? Do you need additional motivation and support to help you along in your weight loss journey? Well good news! We are now offering one on one support to help you achieve your weight loss goals! This package is for individuals who already know their metabolic type or have already taken our Beginners Weight Loss Class. If you do not know your metabolic type and would like to take my beginners weight loss class you can do so here. If you already know your metabolic type and need some additional support then this one on one monthly counseling might be the right fit for you!
We understand that many of you might need some guidance to improve your health. With these two packages we are excited to offer guidance and much much more. In these two packages you will get a 15 video e-course that is customized for your individual metabolic type! Halle will work directly with you to help you achieve all of your goals. Halle has her own holistic practice and is a Certified Metabolic Typing Advisor and a Holistic Nutrition & Lifestyle Coach. Both of theses packages include the e-course. We also offer consultations by the hour.
If you should have any questions about these packages, feel free to contact Halle by filling out a Request a consultation Form.
Need some help finding a new workout program that guarantees results? Well look no further! Sculpt the body of your dreams with this FREE 30 Day Dumbbell Challenge! In order to achieve your ideal health, I strongly believe that you have to eat right for your metabolic type and also incorporate a great exercise routine. There is so much conflicting information on which exercises to do, which are best for you…cardio, weights, crossfit training, interval training, Pilates, Yoga the list goes on. Bottom line is you have to enjoy your workouts to stick to them and you have to have variety. For me, I love Pilates! I love to incorporate Pilate exercises with a dumbbell routine. I believe in order to achieve your ultimate fitness health, you must include weight training into your daily exercise program.
Very simply put from one of my favorite authors ~ Judith Sherman-Wolin ”Muscle is a twenty-four-hour furnace, allowing you to burn more calories even at rest. Muscle is the body’s major metabolic booster. The famous “yo-yo” dieting syndrome is a result of muscle loss, if you diet without exercising, you lose muscle along with fat and the loss of muscle tissue translates into a slowdown, sometimes a shutdown of your metabolism. Eating less will help you lose weight, but building muscle will help you keep it off.”
Below we have highlighted a few topics to help you better understand our beliefs.
Eating organic food is best when ever possible. Organic food is grown or raised without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicide, or fertilizers. It can be hard to convert fully to an all organic diet, do it in small steps. You are more likely to stick with it if you gradually switch over to organic food. You can read my article Organic On A Budget! 10 Tips To Help You Buy Organic Food For Less for helpful advise when purchasing organic food. The most important foods to eat organically are the “dirty thirteen”. These fruits and vegetables show the highest amounts of pesticide residue. Start with switching these foods first and then gradually add other items.
- Imported Grapes
- Red Raspberries
- Bell Peppers
- Hot Peppers
We believe that fat, specifically saturated fats, are good for you. Good sources of fat are
- Grass Fed Butter or raw butter
- Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Organic Grass Fed Ghee
- Animal Fats from healthy, organic, grass fed sources.
- Organic Olive Oil (although it is not a saturated fat, it is a good source of monounsaturated fat). Olive oil is best unheated.
Dairy should be raw if possible. By raw we mean unpasteurized and unhomogenized and from a grass fed source. It can be difficult to get raw milk. Many states prohibit the sales of raw milk. To check you local resources to see where to purchase raw milk visit The Weston A. Price Foundation. If you are unable to get raw milk, then you can try coconut milk. If none of these sources are available then organic would be your next best option.
Yogurt is fine, but again, if you can get it from a raw source then that would be your best option. Look for plain unsweetened greek yogurt. Full fat is always best because it is less processed. Add your own sweetener or fresh fruit for a healthier yogurt.
Cheeses should be raw. Raw cheeses are a bit more easier to locate.
Butter should be raw when possible. If you can not find a raw source, then look for grass fed butter. Your next option would be organic.
Soy should be avoided at all cost. Soy effects your thyroid, oftentimes contributing to low thyroid function. Low thyroid function can lead to weight gain or problems with weight loss or maintaining a healthy weight. It can contribute to low energy, depression and a decreased sex drive. Soy also has hormonal effects. Here is a summary, from Dr. Mercola,of soy’s most glaring problems. Be sure to read the labels when shopping for products. You might be quite surprised how much soy are in today’s processed products.
If you choose to eat soy, be sure to eat organic and properly fermented soy. Fermented soy products include:
- Soy Sauce – be careful with this however because most soy sauce in the markets today are made artificially. A good alternative to soy sauce is liquid aminos.
Grains and Gluten
Grains – A lot of my recipes are gluten and grain free. Do I believe that all grains are terrible for you? No. However I do believe that grains have been altered dramatically over the past 50 years. If one is trying to lose or maintain a healthy weight, it might be beneficial to eliminate processed grains from their diets. Processed grains can stall your weight loss or for some even make them gain weight. Processed grains convert quickly to sugar which then can spike your blood sugar. If your blood sugar fluctuates then it is difficult to lose or maintain a healthy weight. Also, most processed grains today are genetically modified. If you are going to consumes grains you want to prepare them the traditional ways. Sprouting, fermenting, and soaking grains are healthy alternative when wanting to consume grains.
Gluten – Many people have a gluten intolerance and don’t even realize it. Gluten is a special kind of protein found in many members of the grain family. It is commonly found in breads, baked goods, cereals and many other products out there. Some people can not digest this protein which makes them gluten intolerant. Gluten intolerant symptoms are
- Constipation, diarrhea, bloating
- Depression and fatigue
- skin disorders such as eczema
- Irritability and difficulty focusing
- abdominal pain
- weigh gain or problems with losing
Water is one of the most important elements to a healthy lifestyle. Our bodies are made up of approximately 75% water. Many of us are not drinking enough water to function at our best. You should be drinking half your bodies weight (in ounces) of water daily. That means if you way 150 pounds, you should be consuming 75 ounces of water a day. If you have a caffeinated beverage (example: 10 oz of coffee), then you should replenish your body with 10 additional ounces of water, bringing your total to 85 oz that day.
Here are the benefits of drinking enough water
- Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat
- Water is a natural diuretic
- Drinking enough water is the best treatment for water retention
- Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration
- Water helps rid the body of waste.
- Water can help relieve constipation
It is important to be drinking clean and filtered water. Reverse Osmosis is your best option. You can easily and affordably install one in your home. Watts Premier RO-Pure 4-Stage Reverse Osmosis System
Salts should be unrefined sea salts. Redmond’s Real salt and Celtic Sea Salt are your best options. Your body needs salt to function at its optimal health. Unrefined sea salts are
- known to help balance blood pressure
- great for hypertension
- better for diabetics
- contains no added chemicals/anti-caking agents
- contains all of the minerals of the ocean, not just NaCl
- Doctor recommended
- helps balance your blood sugar
- helps regulate proper electrolyte balance
Natural Sweeteners should be used in moderation. One needs to be in tuned with their body to recognize when and if their blood sugar fluctuates when consuming sugar. Good sources of sweetener come in their most natural, unrefined forms. The following sweeteners are acceptable sweeteners.
- Organic raw honey
- 100% pure maple syrup
- Pure stevia (preferably out of your own garden, see our video to learn how to grow and make your own stevia)
- Coconut Palm Sugar
- Rapunzel (unrefined & unbleached organic whole cane sugar)
- organic dark chocolate
- unsweetened applesauce
Our food chain has changed dramatically over the past 50 years. Scientist have altered our food so much that our bodies don’t even recognize it as food anymore. We need to go back to the beginning and do things the way it was intended to be done.
Here are some guidelines to follow when purchasing animal products.
- Grass fed - Cows, Sheep, buffalo were designed to eat grass. However, ranchers have been feeding them grains to make them fat and sell more meat. These animals were not built to eat grains and therefore quickly get sick. They are then given a constant dose of antibiotics and the quality of the protein in their meat quickly declines. You are what you eat! Ask yourself this question. If the ranchers are feeding these animals grains to fatten them up, and we eat the grain fed beef, wouldn’t we have the same effect?
- Free Range Organic Poultry – When it comes to poultry, it is also important that the chickens be eating what they were intended to eat. Chickens are suppose to have free range to roam the grassy land and eat bugs, grass and natural ingredients. They were not designed to be in small cages, eating corn and soy and other grains. If a chicken is truly free roaming, its eggs will be a nice bright orange yolk. The eggs are only as good as the chickens.
- Wild Caught Seafood – The same is true when it comes to fish. Did you know that farm raised fish are also being feds grains! Grains, for real? I don’t know about you, but I don’t see any grains floating around in lakes or oceans. Fish are not built to eat grains. They get sick quickly and again we start to run into problems. It is best to always buy wild caught seafood/fish. By doing this, you can rest assure that the fish were healthy and living in their own natural habitat.
We are very pleased to have teamed up with amazon to offer all of these wonderful ingredients all in one convenient spot ! For a detailed list of where to purchase these ingredients, feel free to visit Whole Lifestyle Nutrition’s Store!