Boiled peanuts make a great snack!
- 5 pounds green raw peanuts (roasted can not be used) The peanuts will be in their shells and you cook them in the shells as well. Once they are cooked and cooled, then you shuck them out of the shells and eat the soft peanut inside.
- 1/3 cup sea salt, divided
- Clean and rinse the peanuts two times. Place in a very large stock pot and cover with clean water.
- Add 3 tbsp of salt and stir.
- Bring to a boil and boil at a soft boil for 3 1/2 hours. Add more water if needed (the water will evaporate as they cook).
- After the 3 1/2 hours taste the peanuts. If they are firm, they need to go for another 1/2 hour- 1 hour. They should be soft. Once you reach the desired firmness, turn off burner and stir in remaining heaping 2 tablespoons of salt in the peanuts.
- Let the peanuts soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and enjoy!
- You can place the peanuts once cooled into ziplock freezer bags and store in refrigerator. You can also freeze the peanuts to enjoy later.