- 5–6 ripe red tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 white or red onion OR 1 bunch of green onion
- 2–5 serrano or jalapeno peppers (depending on how much kick you want)
- 1/4 cup roasted chiles (or you can roast raw chiles with the rest of the ingredients, but I LOVE the fire-roasted flavor from the ones at my local market.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- juice of 2–3 limes
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Wash the vegetables. Lay the first 4 ingredients on a cooking sheet that has an edge to keep the oil from dripping. Or, if you’re using raw chiles, they’ll go on the pan as well.
- Coat the vegetables with olive oil and rub the olive oil around the surface of the tomatoes, especially.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes. The tomatoes should be slightly browned and bubbling.
- Take everything out before the onions get too dark.
- Let cool for up to 15 minutes, then use either a food processor or blender to mix ingredients together.
- Mix in cilantro and lime, then add salt to taste. Easy right?