If you’re looking for a gluten-free sandwich bread that tastes like the real deal…look no further, you’ve found it!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Pour 3 cups of rolled oats on a baking sheet and reserve the remaining half cup for later. Bake/toast the oats for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Turn the oven off. Once cool, transfer to a food processor and process until a fine oat flour forms.
- In a small bowl, add the active dry yeast, cane sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water and allow it to proof for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together the toasted oat flour, tapioca starch, sea salt and thoroughly mix together. Add in the yeast mixture, eggs, olive oil, the remaining untoasted oatmeal, and the honey and mix well.
- Combine the unsweetened apple butter with 3/4 cup water and add to the dough/batter mixture and stir well. It will have a batter-like texture. Cover the batter and allow the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- Grease a 4×9 inch loaf pan. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan, cover and allow it to double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the loaf pan into the preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on. If the bread starts to get too brown on the top, tent your bread with foil.
- Allow the bread to fully cool before slicing. Store in a cool dry place or slice and store in the freezer for future use.