For the Ginger Bug:
- ginger root
- unrefined sugar
- unchlorinated water (chlorine in water will kill off or inhibit some of the beneficial bacteria)
For the Ginger Bug ‘Soda’:
- 1/4 cup ginger bug liquid (from above)
- 1 quart fruit juice and/or tea
- For the Ginger Bug: Mix 2 tablespoons grated ginger, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 cups of unchlorinated water in a clean class jar. Cover with cheesecloth or coffee filter and secure with a rubberband.
- For the next 5 to 7 days, add 2 tablespoons grated ginger, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons unchlorinated water. After 5 to 7 days, the ginger bug will begin to foam and bubble, and is ready to use.
- For the Ginger Bug ‘Soda’: Mix 1/4 cup of the ginger bug liquid and fruit juice/tea, and transfer to flip top bottles and allow to ferment for 3 days at room temperature. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill before opening.
- Note: Once you have your ginger bug, you can store in the fridge and feed 2 tablespoons grated ginger, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons unchlorinated water once per week.
Equipment Needed For The Ginger Bug:
Clean class jar,
Cheese cloth or coffee filter,
Equipment Needed For The Ginger Bug Soda:
Flip top bottles washed with vinegar and hot water, and rinsed (soap can kill the beneficial bacteria, so use white vinegar)