This plantain tortilla recipe tastes so good and perfect for sandwich roll-ups.
You can adjust this recipe for your needs (see example below). Here is what you need to know:
- 1 large plantain will get you 4 small tortillas (shown in pictures), 3 medium size tortillas, or 2 large tortillas
- For every plantain, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the batter
- For each plantain, add 1/4 tsp sea salt to the batter
- Add enough water to create a thick grit-like or thick brownie-like mixture (see picture above for the right consistency). Water can vary greatly depending on the ripeness and how long you boil the plantains. I rough estimate is 1/2 cup of water per plantain.
So for example, If you want 4 small tortillas for dinner, use 1 plantain, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 tsp of sea salt and about 1/2 cup of water. If you want 8 small tortillas for a family dinner, use 2 plantains, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 tsp of sea salt and about 1 cup of water. If you want 12 small tortillas, use 3 large plantains, 6 tablespoons of olive oil, 3/4 tsp sea salt and about 1 1/2 cups of water. Adjust the recipe for how many tortillas that you will need.
Here is what you need to do:
- Cut the plantains into 1″ chunks, with the skin on.
- Place into a medium size pot and cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the plantains are tender.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Drain plantains and allow to cool slightly. Once cool, peel off skins/peels and add the plantains to a food processor (I have this one). Add in oil, salt, and water and blend until a smooth and thick mixture is achieved (see picture above).
- Place some parchment paper onto a cookie baking sheet and spoon the mixture onto it creating the desired size of tortilla you are looking for. With the back of the spoon, smooth out mixture to a 1/4″ thick circle.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, gently flip the tortilla to the other side and allow them to fully cool.
- Store up to 1 week in the refrigerator in between the parchment paper you used (cut it up into squares to fit in between the tortillas) and store in a plastic baggie.