This Farmers’ Market Inspired Salad is a quick and easy salad that showcases the season.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 small (red, white, purple) potatoes, quartered
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 4 ounces thick-cut apple-wood smoked bacon
- 1 large bunch dandelion greens, washed and cut into ~3-inch pieces
- 2 baby leeks, washed well, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- Heat a large roasting pan or Dutch oven with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Spread the potatoes in the roasting pan or Dutch oven in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Saute the potatoes until golden brown and crispy on the exterior and tender on the interior, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the smashed garlic, in the last 5 minutes or so of cooking (watch carefully, making sure the garlic does not burn).
- While the potatoes are browning, cut the bacon into 1/2-inch-wide pieces to make lardons.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is golden brown.
- Add the leek and cook another minute or two.
- When the potatoes are done, add the hot bacon and leeks to the potatoes, reserving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the greens to the reserved fat in the pan; add the sherry vinegar and toss quickly to coat.
- Transfer the greens to the pan with the potatoes and toss to combine until the greens just wilt. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot.
Nutritional information below is for 4 side salads.
- Serving Size: 1 serving