Try this delicious ham and bean soup with your leftover ham hocks/bones. It really is quite delicious!
- 2 1/2 cups mixed dried beans (I used 13 bean soup mix)
- 2 1/2 quarts filtered water
- Leftover ham hock (mine was about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tsp Herbs de Provence or Thyme
- 2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup celery (include the celery leaves) chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2–3 cups fresh pastured ham, chopped
- Rinse and soak 2 1/2 cups of dried beans overnight in filtered water and 2 1/2 Tbsp vinegar.
- The next morning drain and rinse beans.
- Add 2 1/2 quarts of filtered water to a large stock pot.
- Add ham hock, beans, Herbs de Provence or thyme and simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours add the unrefined sea salt, onion, carrots, and celery and mix well. Cook for another hour.
- Remove meat from ham hock, shred and add it to the soup. I added about 2-3 cups of meat to the soup.
- Allow simmering for 30 additional minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1 cup