Organic Quinoa Salad (adapted from www.cultivatekc.org) *all ingredients used are organic
- 1 1/4 cup quinoa
- 4 medium organic beets (I used various colors)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (I used heirloom), cut in half
- 3 scallions, sliced thin (I used spring red onions and spring leeks)
- 1 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (and to taste for dressing)
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 kohlrabi (any root veggie could work or can omit)
- 1/2 large cucumber chopped
- 1 cup of greens, chopped (your choice, I used beet greens)
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Coconut oil or grass fed butter
- Rinse quinoa. Cook on the stove top with 2 1/2 cups of water and 1/8 tsp of sea salt for 15-20 minutes until tender (or use my crock pot method). Remove from heat, let stand 10 minutes, transfer to bowl, cover and refrigerate about 2 hours.
- Cook beets and kohlrabi–first scrub well and peel the kohlrabi. This can be done 3 ways. 1. Boil in 1 in of water and salt until tender. 2. Steam until tender (in a steamer or steam basket over a pan of water) or 3. (my favorite) Roasting! Cut up beets and kohlrabi, rub with enough coconut oil or butter to just cover, roast at 350 until tender. Allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, beets, kohlrabi, cucumber, tomatoes, greens and parsley. Toss in dressing. Serves 10.
- I already have additional ideas for the next batch! Mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, almond slices, to name a few. Get creative and have fun!
- Serving Size: 1 serving