The Best Turnip Au Gratin Recipe is super easy and just requires a tad bit of layering and a few ingredients and it is ready to pop in the oven!
- 3 large turnips
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shaved parmesan
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Peel, trim and slice the turnips very thinly. I used my mandoline.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Put a layer of turnips on the bottom of the skillet on top of the butter.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and add 1/3 cup cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.
- Add a tbsp of butter, cut into small pieces and place on top of this layer.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp milk over the turnips, top with some fresh thyme.
- Repeat steps 4-7 until a total of 3 layers are formed. Finish with a cheesy top.
- Bake for 25-30 minute until bubbly and brown.