I was inspired to create this recipe from a post that Jan Whitlinger posted. I made the shell as she recommended and was very pleased. From there, I created a really delicious and healthy taco salad. You have to try this one!
- 4 oz organic mild cheddar shredded
- 4 oz organic sharp cheddar shredded
- dash of Cajun seasoning blend
- 1 pound grassland chicken breast cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos
- dash of red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp water
- 4 cups of shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 tomato diced
- toppings of choice
- For taco shell – shred your cheese finely and mix together.
- Over medium heat place 2 oz of cheese in a nonstick 10″ skillet (not greased), and pat your cheese out as thin as possible.
- Sprinkle cheese with a little cajun seasoning blend.
- Allow the cheese to lightly brown (about 2 minutes) and then flip to the other side.
- Brown this side and then take it out of the pan and immediately drape it over the outside of a bowl.
- Allow cooling (it will harden as it cools).
- When cool, an edible shell for your salad is created.
- Repeat this step 3 more times to make the other shells.
- Filling: in another skillet, saute your chicken in a little coconut oil for about 10 minutes. Add water, ground cumin, coriander, chili powder, liquid amino, red pepper.
- Saute for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- In a small bowl add 1 tsp of arrowroot powder and 1 tsp of water.
- Mix well and add to the chicken mixture and simmer until it thickens (about a minute).
- Place 1 cup of salad greens, 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro, and chopped tomatoes in your taco shell.
- Top with your choice of toppings: cheese, sour cream, guacamole, beans, salsa, onions, and olives.
All ingredients are organic in this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 taco salad
- Calories: 372.1
- Fat: 20.5
- Carbohydrates: 3.8
- Protein: 42.1