On Sale Now for a limited time! Gluten Free Grain Free Breads, Batters & Doughs If you are gluten free or grain free, this book is for you! Breads, Batters & Doughs teaches you how to cook using alternative flours and offers a collection of incredible recipes! Use coupon code healthy2014 at checkout...

How To Get Rid of Dog and Cat Urine Odor The All Natural Way

When Accidents Happen

Many of us are blessed to have animals to brighten our lives!  They bring us so much joy don’t they? But what happens when an accident occurs?

You know what I mean, your puppy is potty training and pees on the carpet or your cat is getting old and misses the kitty litter.  How do you get rid of dog and cat urine odors the all natural way?

Stick aroundI am about to tell you how!  But firsthere is our story.

Here Is Our Story

A few years ago we had a cat, Mason.  We just LOVED Mason!  I mean how cute is Mason right?

How To Get Rid of Dog and Cat Urine The Natural Way

Unfortunately, Mason was getting very old, 17 years in this picture.  With age, sometimes cats begin to have kidney problems and oftentimes have a hard time squatting and pee standing up rather then squatting. This leads to the cat spraying urine on the wall behind the litter and oftentimes on the sides of the litter.

Well….have you ever tried to get cat urine out of carpet or hardwood floors before?  Oh my gosh, it is nearly impossible.

I tried everything under the sun to try to get rid of these smells but it wasn’t until I tried to get rid of dog and cat urine odors the all natural way that I finally tackled my problem!

And then Gemma came alongPUPPY….need I say more?  Puppy and Pee go hand and hand don’t they? With these two adorable pictures are you wanting to run out and get a fuzzy animal yet?

How To Get Rid of Pet Urine

So with an aging cat and a new puppy, you could imagine that we experimented a LOT with getting urine out of carpets and floors.

I think I have finally perfected the PERFECT formula to get rid of dog and cat urine odors the all natural way!

Get Rid of Dog and Cat Urine Odor The All Natural Way | WholeLifestyleNutrition.com

How To Get Rid of Dog and Cat Urine Odors The All Natural Way

So what is this formula you ask?  Would you believe me if I told you it has only 4 ingredients?  Better yet, you most likely already have these 4 ingredients in your home already!

Here is what you are going to need:

Depending on the size of area you are treating you might need to double or triple this recipe.  Only make what you are going to use.

Safety Note:  Dispose any leftover formula, do not leave it in the spray bottle.

Although this is a natural formula, you are mixing together items that could have a reaction if left to sit. Be safe and properly dispose the leftovers if any.

As with any product, ALWAYS test a small section of the carpet, hard wood floors or furniture to make sure that this formula doesn’t react negatively with your items.

We used this formula on wood, carpets and linoleum floors and had no issues with any of them…but always check to be on the safe side!

The Formula

Now that we have the ingredients and safety all taken care of, lets dive into this simple formula.

Pour the following ingredients into a spray bottle:

• 5 oz hydrogen peroxide
  • 1  tsp vinegar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp dishwasher orange soap (something about the orange scent help break up the urine smell), or for best results use 3 drops of wild orange essential oil (You Can Buy Here)

When all of the ingredients have been added, gentle shake the bottle.  Now simply generously spray the effected area with this solution and allow to completely dry.  It will become powder-like once the formula dries.

Once it dries vacuum up the powder.  If the smell is still there, then repeat this step again and add the extra step included below.

Final Application To Purify The Area

If you want to take this formula one step further, be sure to purify the area.  To do:

• Add 6 drops of Purify Essential Oil or Lemon Essential Oil (You Can Buy Here) to 1 cup of baking soda and place into a container and shake until well combined.
  • Sprinkle on the dry effected area and leave on for several hours or overnight.
  • Vacuum up and you will be good to go!

To learn more about the many benefits of essential oils, Click Here To Read About Essential Oils.

That’s It, How Easy Was That?

That is it!  Easy right?  Who knew it was so easy to get rid of dog and cat urine odors the all natural way!

As always I am here if you should have any questions!  Feel free to leave them in the comment section below.

Photo Credit: Peter Tucker Photography via Compfightcc

101 thoughts on “Get Rid of Dog and Cat Urine Odors The All Natural Way!”

1. phoenixx1414 says:

What about cat urine on cement basement walls/floor? It is so porous. Do you think this will work?

1. hallecottis says:

phoenixx1414 yes I do think it will work.  I pulled up some old carpet and had to get hard floors underneath and it worked great!

2. mikezielonka says:

Halle McCulloch Cottis  My finance spilled milk in the trunk of my jeep and it stinks.  Would this work on the fabric that lines the trunk in my jeep?

1. hallecottis says:

mikezielonka Halle McCulloch Cottis Try it Mike…It just might.

3. KellyPorter says:

Thank you sooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. hallecottis says:

KellyPorter You’re welcome.  Let us know how it works!

4. valle2 says:

Our investor group is involved in buying and rejuvenating foreclosure homes; most of the properties have been unoccupied for a year or more. Stale air, smoking and pet odors can get quite bad. Selling a house with odor problems takes longer and affects the resale value. Painting the interior does not remove all odors as the odors are embedded in the walls, carpets, carpet pads and duct work. A painting contractor mentioned a product called, Air-ReNu a paint additive, turns any painted wall surface, into a permanent air, purification system no electricity or filters required. We now use, Air-ReNu on every interior paint job. Has anyone else used this product?

1. hallecottis says:

valle2 Interesting. I have not heard of this.  Will do some research…thanks

2. Mandy says:

Have you tried kilz under the paint and or an ozone machine??? I know when showing our cars we always used an ozone machine in my hubbys as he smokes. No one ever knew. We had a house fire and they use kilz on the studs that weren’t being replaced. Then they put 3 ozone machines in the house for the week. Seems to have done the trick. I would start with the ozone first. Just don’t have anyone in the house while running the ozone as it could kill them.

5. mahoneydarlene says:

WELL  I HAVE A CAT LIKES TO  PEE ON MY BASMEANT FLOOR  ALL  THE TIME  WHAT DO I DO  ABOUT THAT AND I CLEAN  THE BOXS ALL  THE TIME TO  SHE HAS BEEN  THIS FOR A VERY LONG TIME  .BUT SHE SHIT RIGHT NEXT TO  THE CAT BOX .

1. hallecottis says:

mahoneydarlene How old is the cat?  Have you tried spaying straight vinegar around the perimeter of the box.  That might help keep the cat from going there.

2. JoyceHering says:

mahoneydarlene Try a different kind of litter, especially if the poor cat has been declawed. I quit using clay litter altogether and now use fine pine shavings. They are lighter to dispose of, break down quicker, dont hold or create ammonia and I have 17 indoor cats who had no hesitation about using the litter box. Also, is your litter box too high sided? I changed to flatter pans that go under a rabbit cage. easy to clean, easier in and out for kittens or aged cats. I got my pans and my shavings at the local farm supply store, like farm N Fleet or Tractor Supply. Shavings are only $4.99 a bale and with only 1 cat that should last you several weeks!

6. Whole Lifestyle Nutrition says:

I also had an aging cat who missed the litter. Cat Urine is nearly impossible to get rid of and this formula got rid of it in one application! http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/articles/get-rid-of-dog-and-cat-urine-odors-the-all-natural-way/

7. Liz Sauer Sisky says:

Do you have a formula for stopping the need for eliminating pet urine odors? Lol potty training is the worst part of having a puppy!

8. Mandy Haver Lopez says:

Is that a brittany spaniel?

9. Whole Lifestyle Nutrition says:

Sure is Mandy! She is such a great dog!

10. Mandy Haver Lopez says:

:) I miss our Brittany! They are such great dogs!

11. NettySheehan says:

Thank you , I will try this .

12. valle2 says:

Airborne toxins from a litter box can be a real threat to your health.
    Cleaning the litter box, here are several suggestions.
    1. Wear a breathing face mask when cleaning the litter box. Every time you scoop out the waste; you are also releasing odors and toxins into the air, as you lean over the box, you’re inhaling the fumes, also spray the litter with water prior to cleaning, help keep dust down.
    2. Change the litter box outside, and this will help keep odors and toxins outside rather than inside your home. We resolved ongoing odor problems with a product call
    http://www.air-renu.com/. One application and the house will continue, to smell fresh and clean.

13. sunrunner36 says:

definitely going to try this.  Since I have helped local dog rescue groups, my house isn’t the most pleasant smelling. So glad this will get rid of it so we can have company (people) again.

14. Kim says:

My cat just peed on my VERY expensive meditation pillow that is beaded/lacy/etc. It’s been years since she peed on anything. It used to be my couch cushions and I would submerge them in something I bought from Petsmart. Now I’m in Germany and so no access to a Petsmart needless to say. I’m not sure just spraying this pillow is going to remove the odor. Any ideas?

15. AngelCrisp says:

I don’t have orange scented, just the blue dawn, do you think it would still work?

1. Kim says:

@AngelCrisp The article mentioned something about the orange scent is what really does the trick. I personally never buy products like Dawn or Ajax or Palmolive, but I did go out and buy a bottle of the orange stuff JUST for this. And b/c I’m in Germany at the mercy of the offerings of the BX, I could only get an enormous bottle for this which will require only 1/2 tsp or so. I’d go get the orange stuff.

16. mikezielonka says:

Lisa Dodd check this out!  This is the post I was telling you about! :)

17. justjan says:

I have not tried this one, so today I am going to…and I will be back when I find out if it works !!! Thank you…justjan

18. Lisa Hostetler says:

We recently had a foster dog that we had to house train. She found a forever home last week, so this week I will be trying this out for sure. Thanks!

19. Jason says:

do you mix this with water?

20. KerryjoMay says:

Help me pleeeeeeeaaaassssse – I’ve recently purchased a pair of expensive shoes and my cat pee’d IN them – the smell is awful – I cannot put my foot in one of them – yuck!  I’ve managed to get the smell off of the putside of one shoe, but the inside of the shoe smells REALLY BAD – any ideas

21. AMac says:

Use an organic natural product called Freshana. It literally is a miracle worker on pet odors and urine. I swear by it. http://FreshanaOrganic.com

22. Pauline says:

Peroxide on the carpet? Doesn’t it bleach the carpet? Pauline

23. Cheryl and Gracie says:

OMG! Thank you for saving mw and my relationship with my new puppy. I discovered that she has been peeing IN MY BED! I was horrified and so upset by it. I used the over the counter remedy that I thought was a sure thing but the odor was still there so I went online. I discovered your link and tried it . ONE TIME and the smell is gone. Not only that but it has a nice clean smell. I can’t thank you enough!

24. Mdtnlp says:

I have 4 cats and 3 suddenly refuse to use the litter box they have decided my daughters room was a suitable substitute, obviously I’m less than thrilled, especially where my daughter is an asthmatic. I constantly clean the litter box my one little guy does use it. I’ve tried different litters I’ve taken them to the vet there is not medical reason why they are doing this. I tried this mixture and you can still smell cat pee maybe I did it wrong? I’m desperate to get rid of the smell my daughter hasn’t been able to use her room in a long while my next step is replacing the rug I’d like to avoid that if possible any suggestions?

25. Vinnie Valles says:

Concerned about cat urine odours? There is a permanent solution that continuously improves and maintains healthy indoor air quality and removes pet and smoking odors, Air-ReNu a paint additive that only requires one application, works 7/24/365 and will last for 10-12 years.

26. Stain Begone says:

What about pet urine stains? It sounds like this will work on the odor, but what about the stains? My son, his wife, their two daughters, and their two dogs moved in with me for about six months. I was not aware that the dogs were peeing everywhere. I have nice yellow stains all over my carpet. I would love to find something that will get the stains out!

27. Myrna says:

I have a new puppy never had a pet before . I need help . I can’t stand the smell . Please help .

28. Myrna says:

How do I get rid of poop smell . Please help :(

29. Myrna says:

How do I get rid of dog poop smell please help .

1. Halle Cottis says:

Let the dog poop outside and be sure to clean up after your pet and properly dispose of its waste.

30. Mark gariglil says:

Hi, can’t wait to try this!
    Question, what strength peroxide?
    It come in lots of different strengths.
    Can you tell me what %/vol peroxide you use???

Thanks for sharing this x

31. Regina says:

About an hour ago me and hubby came from church and….sniff sniff…there’s this slight puppy pee odor which made me panic… i always clean, and wash, and vacuum…do everything to make house smell nice, but today i hit the bad reality. i began searching online for way to get rid of urine smell from carpet and truly hope it’ll work. i know that these ingredients do wonders separately, just depends what you’re cleaning. will let you know how it will work within few days, before Christmas. i am about to cry, lol.

32. Kaylin Jessica says:

Do you think I could apply this overan entire carpetted area to get rid of the ‘corn chip’ or ‘wet dog’ smell some previous renters left behind in the house we are about to move into? Its been closed up for a little more than a month and the smell is pretty strong from all the dogs they had.

33. joanne says:

do i add water ?

34. Thelma Souders says:

I have a safe that has a mildew odor. I guess not the safe but all my papers do. What can i do to get rid of the odor. I took everything out of the safe and left it air drying. I finally had to put it back but the papers still had an odor. Please help!

35. Bev says:

My car was broken into and the thieves left the door open. A cat got in and sprayed or peed. I think it’s on the leather seats. I have removed the mats and it still stinks. Any suggestions??

36. Chelsea says:

My puppy is currently enclosed in my dining room at night, as we do nto have a good enough yard to enclose her in, until we move on the weekend. If I want to apply this method to the whole dining room, would I just increase the measurements and mop it on, or can I mix it with water to make it go a bit further, or should I spray the entire dining room?
    Thanks

37. michael says:

Our whole bedroom smells to high heaven from our eleven year old Beagle, who just decided that her four long walks a day just weren’t cutting it. So in the middle of the night she found herself a little “watering hole”…our lovely brand new carpet. We have tried steam cleaning it, but it actually made it worse. I hope this works because we feel like we’re sleeping in a barn. Question: Can I triple the dosage and spray down the entire carpet? Also, how does it turn into a powder? How long will that take?
    Thank you for any answer’s that you can provide, Mike

38. Autumn says:

Can this be used in hard floors? Possibly laundry? Also I’m not even sure where the smell of cat urine is coming from in my home directly, can I just make this in a mop bucket and clean all my floors?

1. Halle Cottis says:

I’d try it on a small spot first and then go from there.

39. Lee says:

The peroxide in this mixture worries me. Hydrogen Peroxide normally bleaches anything it comes in contact with… so I can’t imagine using this on a carpet or good oriental rug. Can anyone say this really has worked, and NOT bleached or changed the color of the item?

1. Halle Cottis says:

I would try it in a small spot before using it on the whole rug. I used 3% Hydrogen Peroxide with no issues.

40. Dinah says:

I have 2 male cats, one is fixed and the other is not. Just recently the one who is NOT fixed has started “spraying”. I first noticed the odor in my walk-in closet. The smell is so bad it almost knocks you down. Since then I have noticed that he seems to be “spraying” everywhere and on anything. The girls backpacks, towels sitting on the floor in the bathroom, homework papers sitting on the floor anywhere, etc. My bedroom smelt sooooooo bad last night that I could hardly sleep. It keeps getting worse and worse with each new day. I am seriously considering getting rid of the cat. BUT that certainly WONT get rid of the odor.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!

1. Kim says:

Get your cat fixed. This is a typical behavior of un-fixed male cats.

1. Jenepher says:

I had my male cat fixed early – he sprayed throughout his adult life. I don’t really think that has anything to do with it.

41. Karen says:

Thank you for this… I’m going to try it this afternoon. I have a cat who is just shy of 17. We also have 2 more inside and 5 that ate indoor outdoor… I do not want any of them picking up in this habit.

42. Silva says:

How long does it take to dry into powder?

43. Beverley says:

To make it even more natural, could I use Dr. Bronners castille soap (citrus scented) or unscented and use orange essential oil?

44. Jessica says:

We got the keys to our house on Jan. 10 and we’ve yet to move in. The house was disgusting and the smell even worse. We’ve painted walls, cabinets and had the carpet cleaned, but there is still a smell. I think they had pets. I’m losing my mind with the smell. I really hope this works.

1. Deb Kolb says:

Jessica – add Listerine to the solution. See my post a couple down from yours.

45. Teresa Lyle says:

We adopted 3 younger cats from our animal shelter two months ago. We moved out bed out to clean…and found dried up cat poo in our nice cream colored carpet. I was able to get the dried poo up and outnow the smell is strong. I googled how to get cat smells out of carpet..and yours popped up. Got it all mixed up and sprayed it in the areas… now waiting for final results. It was so easy and simple to mix.. knowing most of the ingredients are right in your kitchen!!!

46. Deb Kolb says:

For pets, I add a little Listerine to your cleaning solution – probably 2 tsp to the recipe above. As I understand, the ingredient that kills the germs in your mouth will help kill the enzymes in the urine that entices your pet to go again in the same spot. This has worked for me.
    It also works on other items, I actually added the above ingredients along with Listerine to my detergent in my washing machine to save a bath mat. I used apple cider vinegar in the rinse, hung it in the sun to dry, shook it out, washed again as I normally would, ran a second rinse, dried. I’m an odor-phobe, so I took the rug, put it in the dryer with a wet towel on hot, stuck my head in the dryer for ANY lingering pet odor, I swear you couldn’t smell anything!
    BTW – your exact recipe above is what I spray on the stinky armpits of my sons workout & sport clothes before washing as usual.

47. Michelle McCallister says:

Hey Halle! Great article! Just found your website. Love it and the tips! Have you heard or used a product called Freshana Organic Solutions for urine problems? Thought I would pass it along to you to look at. I don’t always love mixing up my own concoctions. lol. Again, love the site!

48. Anne dungey says:

Will this formula with hydrogen peroxide bleach the carpet

49. Sabrina says:

Can i substitute dish soap with dry citrus dish washer soap or. with apple flavored dish soap?

1. Halle Cottis says:

yep sure can!

50. Jenepher says:

Wondering if you’re supposed to add this mixture to water? If so, how much water? I need enough liquid to get down to the padding under the carpet…seems like only 5 oz of straight peroxide plus these other ingredients wouldn’t be enough liquid…? Thanks!

51. ken says:

Am just moving into a new house and the dog urine smell is bad its in every room no carpet. I think its on the walls and everything whats my best bet with this. I live in uk so most cleaning products Iv seen are from the U.S.

Any help would be great

52. jasmine pincott says:

My mother in-law has a rug that is black and a dark colour will the peroxide stain the carpet

53. helen silk says:

Can I use this product on cat urine on my mattress

54. Ang says:

Thanks for this post. I have a puppy and 4 kids 6 and under. Lets just say its pee city in my house right now!! I know this will work for the kids pee messes too. THANKS!

55. Jenepher says:

I have a large, greyhound who is only a year old, but when she pees, it is a lot. I found a spot that she apparently likes to go on when she doesn’t want to bother waking me up to go out. I soak up the pee, and have tried various carpet cleaners, enzyme based, etc…and even bought a carpet shampooer. Nothing removes the smell, and she will still go there sometimes too. It has been a continual cycle. I tried this mixture…twice…no luck. Still smells. And the carpet is a slightly lighter shade of beige too…which is not cool because I live in an apartment.

If anyone else has a suggestion for something else to use, I am desperate.

56. Janina says:

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He
    was entirely right. This publish truly made my day.
    You can not consider just how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!

57. Sara says:

How ridiculous! Bleach will always ruin a carpet and, think of your little cat licking the bleach off its paws! White vinegar also has a mild bleaching effect.
    Kitty lovers, all you need to do is mix a half cup of biological washing powder in warm water and clean the area. If you give it a bit of welly, as in give the carpet fibres a good scrub with a dishcloth. It will go.

58. marilyn says:

I just rented a place for next winter and it will be closed up for the summer. There an awful urine smell in carpet. I don,t have a vacumn cleaner. Can I use this formula then just leave it?

59. paula says:

just got rid of my sons cat which has been peeing on my linoleum floor, against the wall, where the pee goes under the floor molding.. i have sprayed vinegar and water, but u can still smell it when u walk in my door. that smell has got to go!! i am having a baby shower here in 5 days and i have really got to get that smell gone..pleeeeease help!! thank you.

1. Halle Cottis says:

You might need to lift the linoleum to treat under it. Try using the wild orange essential oil recommended in this post for best results.

60. Rosa says:

Hi, I don’t have accesos to essential oils where I live. Do you think Orange essence (the one you use in cooking) will work? Thanks!

1. Halle Cottis says:

I am not familiar with the “cooking” orange essence. You certainly could try…

61. Kelley says:

Thank you! I’ve been applying this solution for a week and it has truly worked! Today I’m heading to the local health food store to pick up the lemon essential oil for the final purifying step. I’m excited to have the room back to normal! :D

1. Halle Cottis says:

So glad to hear that it worked for you! I know how you feel about reclaiming a healthy smelling room. Feels Great!

62. Katie says:

My little kitty has started spraying! He sprayed all over my beautiful, suede couch. I have tried Nature’s Miracle and also OUT!, along with spraying it with white vinegar. Nothing is working! I’m a poor college kid who doesn’t want to have to replace this lovely couch. Do you think this would work on a couch? Luckily little kitty is getting fixed next week, so hopefully this will stop and I will have a famously nice-smelling apartment once again!

1. Halle Cottis says:

I do think it would work but be sure to test a small spot to make sure it doesn’t harm the suede.

63. Amanda Martinez says:

This is an awesome page! I am going to try this asap as we have a puppy who has an attitude problem lol. Terrible 4 months stage lol. You have a knack for sales with your wording and detail. Very awesome! Thank you!!!

64. Amanda Martinez says:

Any tips for a fluffy sofa by chance?

65. Sue says:

When I use this formula on my carpet and hardwood floors, do I have to keep my dogs away from it or is it safe for them? They usually sleep at night in my room and that is where the rug is. It says to leave overnight and I want to know if I have to keep my pets away from the room I am treating? Please advise.

Thank you! :)

66. Kelsey says:

I love this formula, and am working on it right now. The problem I’m having is extreme foaming when I combine the vinegar and baking soda. I looked through the comments and no one else mentioned this so I feel like I might be missing something obvious here. Do you pre mix the ingredients in a large bowl and wait for the foam to go down before pouring it in the spray bottle? I can’t add all the vinegar because the foam comes out over the top of the bottle and gets everywhere. I’m frustrated!

67. Jamie says:

How do you dispose of it after?

68. wacko says:

Why is everyone over complicating such a simple formula.
    However, as a chemist I can tell you the following

1- Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) Will indeed bleach and remove colour for most carpets and fabrics. BE CAREFUL! I certainly wouldn’t be applying this concoction to my carpet

2- This formula will not dissolve the non-soluble uric acid crystals. These crystals are the reason that the smell of urine ligers on.

This is a simple “cleaning” formula… it is not a solution

69. Tasia says:

What is purify?

1. Halle Cottis says:

Purfiy is an essential oil blend made by doTERRA. You can click on the link above to see where to purchase it or you can buy it here: http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/shop-doterra

70. sandi says:

this works great!

71. Cheryl says:

Still confused on whether this is for hardwood floors as well as carpet?

72. latisha mccaslin says:

What about a whole carpet? I had a male min pin that’s sprayed absolutely eberything and now I had to get rode of him( other reason) but I have a cocker spaniel and he doesnt spray as bad but it still smells like piss everywhere!!

73. Hi all, here every one is sharing such knowledge,
    thus it’s pleasant to read this website, and I used to pay
    a visit this web site everyday.

74. Linda says:

How about getting rid of the smell in the yard……the yellow spots. the smell is sooooo strong !

75. Lori says:

So what is your suggested solution?

76. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.

And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The
    website style is ideal, the articles is really excellent :
    D. Good job, cheers

77. I am really impressed along with your writing
    taents and also with the structure on your weblog.
    Is this a paid subject or did youu customize iit your self?
    Either wway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon tto peer a nice blog like this one
    these days..

78. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get setup?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a
    pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not
    100% positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

79. I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort
    of area . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this website.
    Studying this information So i’m satisfied to show that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed.
    I most unquestionably will make sure to don?t disregard this website and provides
    it a glance regularly.