How To Naturally Get Rid of Canker Sores With No Medicine |

What Is A Canker Sore?

Have you ever had a sore in your mouth that hurt pretty bad?  Did it take forever to go away?  You probably had a canker sore.

So just what is a canker sore?  Canker sores (aphthous ulcers or aphthous stomatitis) are small ulcers or lesions located in the mouth usually at the base of the gums in soft tissue. Canker sores can also be located on the inner lining of the cheeks, the tongue, and the inside of your lips.

Canker sores are not contagious and usually go away on their own within 1-2 weeks.

Ads by Healthy Ads

Canker sores can be painful however, and you can quickly get rid of them if you follow the tip I am about to give you…but first lets talk about the symtoms of canker sores.

What Are The Symptoms of Canker Sores?

Common symptoms of canker sores are:

• A tingling or burning sensation appears usually on the inside of the mouth 24 hours before it appears.
  • A white, gray or yellow crater appears inside the mouth with a red border surrounding it.
  • The sores become quite painful and it can be hard to drink or eat with the pain.

You may also experience the following: (these symptoms are much less common)

• Fever
  • Swollen lymph nodes
  • Feeling run down, or sluggish

Contact your doctor or dentist if canker sores last more than 3 weeks, if you have a fever or if they start to spread throughout your mouth.

Canker Sores Are Not The Same As Fever Blisters

Many confuse canker sores with fever blisters or cold sores. They are not the same.

Fever blisters or cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV).  They are contagious and usually appear on the outside of the mouth or lip area.

Canker sores are not caused by a virus and are not contagious.  It can be difficult to get rid of a canker sore, however I have a sure proof solution to help you get rid of a canker sores pain within minutes.

What is The Magic Ingredient To Get Rid of Canker Sores?

It can be hard to heal a canker sore because it is inside your mouth.  It is very moist and that can make it very difficult to heal a wound.

To speed up the healing time, I have found it to be beneficial to remove the moisture from the ulcer.  This can be hard to do because the mouth is aways a moist area.

Alum Powder is used for making pickles and pulls the water out of the cucumber.  It does the same for a canker sore too.   By adding alum powder to canker sores, you remove the moisture from the ulcer.  When you remove the moisture, the ulcer has a chance to heal.

Alum Powder

How To Naturally Get Rid of Canker Sores

So to naturally get rid of canker sores, you can use Alum Powder, a common spice found in most kitchens.  Here is how!

Follow these steps to naturally get rid of canker sores:

• Place a small amount of alum (about a size of a pea) directly onto the canker sore.
  • Allow it to sit on the canker sore for 60 seconds.  It does not taste good, it is quite bitter. Do not swallow the alum!
  • After 60 seconds spit out your saliva and the alum.  DO NOT RINSE YOUR MOUTH WITH WATER!  Within several minutes to 24 hours the pain will disappear.

The ulcer may stay for a day or two after you treat the canker sore, but the pain will be gone.  If the pain is not gone after 24 hours, reapply the alum with a second application and repeat the steps above.

That’s it!  So easy and effective. Next time you have a canker sore be sure to try this method out!

Disclaimer: Use this home remedy at your own risk. Like nutmeg and cinnamon, ingesting one ounce or more of alum is considered toxic to humans. Not recommended for women pregnant or nursing and kids. Consult your physician before trying home remedies.

Click Here To Pin it

How To Natually Get Rid of Canker Sores In A Matter of Minutes With No Medicine!! |

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Your support keeps this blog running and is greatly appreciated. AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to,,,,, or DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Whole Lifestyle Nutrition is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here.

119 thoughts on “How To Naturally Get Rid of Canker Sores In Minutes With No Medicine!”

1. Susan says:

Isn’t alum toxic to have large amounts? I’d be nervous to stick it in my mouth and leave it there.

1. Halle Cottis says:

You are putting a pea size amount on your ulcer. This is not a large amount. And you spit it out after 60 seconds.

1. Gwynette says:

Powdered alum should NOT be used for that. You are literally aluminum on an area of your body with a lot of blood flow and think how close it is to your brain. In patients that had diet and had Alzheimer’s disease, in many, high amounts of this were found. I don’t know about you, but after seeing my husband’s grandfather die and had complications of Alzheimer’s I’d rather keep my mind and deal with the sore. Take a small dose of L-Lysine and you won’t get them in the first time and it is exceedingly safe-a vitamin My husband takes it when he thinks he may have one coming on and it doesn’t get to even a full sore. This came from a MD who also had her Doctorate in Holistic medicine.

1. Daniel says:

This is from

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
          Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

This is from the Canadian Alzheimer’s Society:

Most researchers no longer regard aluminum as a risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease. However, some researchers are still examining whether some people are at risk because their bodies have difficulties in handling foods containing the metals copper, iron, and aluminum.

2. Kelley says:

Great post Halle! My teen gets these sometimes and I’ll make sure to have some alum on hand now!

3. Cheryl says:

I use Grapes Leaves instead of Alum when I can my pickles. Thinking Grape Leaves may do the same thing.

1. Rebecca says:

I think grape leaves and oak leaves work when making pickles because of the high concentration of tannin in them (tea bags are said to work as well). I wonder if tannin has anything in common with alum?

4. KC says:

Coconut oil works too!

1. Donna D. says:

coconut oil did nothing for me… I kept thinking that it should because it has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-microbial properties, but it only relieved the pain for a few minutes

5. Catherine Devine says:

I’m in my 60’s and as a child, I got a lot of canker sores. My father always told me to use alum on my sores. It stings and tastes bad, but it works wonders. The sores disappear within a day or two and only the worst ones needed two treatments.

6. Kerry says:

When I stopped eating wheat products, I stopped getting canker sores. The article doesn’t say what causes them. I found out through trial and error. I’ve been gluten/wheat free for three years and only get a canker sore within hours after unintentionally ingesting wheat. Get rid of the wheat, your cold sores will be eliminated.

1. Rebecca says:

That is great to know. I only occasionally eat gluten but since I went “almost gluten free” I rarely get canker sores anymore. However, I also am processed sugar free so maybe that has something to do with it as well. I wonder if different things (food intolerances) can trigger canker sores on different people?

2. miriam says:

I noticed the same thing.. when i eliminated wheat/grain.. my canker sores have disappeared… thank goodness.. because i seemed to always have one and they are painful!

3. morgan says:

you have a gluten allergy i got my first canker sore this weekend im 62 definatly not gluten related for me

Why do you say “definitely not gluten-related for me”? Gluten intolerances, or gluten-containing-food allergies, can appear at any age, for a number of reasons, many of which are not well-understood. I was 51 when I developed a wheat allergy, and now whenever I consume wheat-containing foods I get canker sores.

7. Linda says:

You can use alum in the form of a little stick. I think you can buy it by men’s shaving materials. It’s called A Styptic Pencil and it’s made of Aluminum Sulfate. It acts and tastes the same way as alum but is easier to pinpoint the canker sore, especially in hard to reach places. I find that if you can apply it at the first hint of a canker sore, you can stop it before it even becomes an open canker sore.

8. Krystyna says:

What about topical zinc? It also dries out the area and is anti-viral?

1. Marcy says:

Zinc throat drops will actually cause ulcers for many people.

9. Sarah says:

We’ve found that salt works very well. Salt dries out the canker sore and we’ve seen results very quickly!

10. tricia says:

I suck on l-lysine pills. That works for me. Tastes nasty, but it’s effective.

11. CJ says:

I noticed i got a canker sore every time I had something with soy lecithin, especially Peanut M&Ms. At first I naively thought it was the chocolate itself but after having soy-free chocolates I dont see the sores appearing at all. Now when I have a tiny piece of anything with soy lecithin in it I get a sore within hours. I’m still perplexed by it, but at least I”m usually canker sore-less and that’s wonderful in itself .

12. Kathy says:

A doctor told me that canker sores were caused by being deficient in Vit B. Whenever I get canker sores, I realize I haven’t been eating well and need to take a vit B.

13. Jeannie says:

My Mom used this every time we got one of these darn canker sores. Believe me, it works just GREAT. My Mom would have been 100 this year and I believe her Mom taught her this secret. It has obviously been around for quite some time.

14. michelle says:

I’ve been doing this for years as I get them from having Lupus. I lean over the sink with my mouth open and let the saliva drain out for several minutes. Sounds gross, but the sore is usually gone the next day if not sooner.

15. teri says:

I have been using salt to achieve the same end for over 20 years. It will sting at first but fruits it up fast and sore is gone in no longer than a day.

16. teri says:

*Dries* it up fast…

17. Dee says:

This is wonderful…I am 62 years old, but always remember my Mom giving me a pinch of Alum on my cancer sores and it worked like magic. There is a gel that I purchased a number of years later called mytriciean (sp) that worked like alum and cannot find it in my local stores anymore….our son also get’s them, so I will purchase some alum and know it will work, it always has. Wonderful post…thank you so much!

18. Marcy says:

I used to get mouth ulcers all the time. I found my two major causes were Sodium Laurly sulfate and citric acid.
    Sodium Louryl Sulfate is the foaming action in 99% of toothpastes. For this I switched to Jason’s ($8 at the health food stores) or Natural White….from the Dollar store. For the citric acid issue, I can either limit the acid or take an Pepcid or Zantac before the eating more acidic foods. It has cut the number down to 1 every couple of years vs almost continual.

1. Nicole says:

YES. I eliminated SLS from my toothpaste and went from always having at least one canker sore (one time i had 9) down to only getting one every once in a while, usually after biting my lip.

19. Nicole says:

I would be concerned about this because I think alum in metal. No wonder it kills whatever it comes into contact with.

1. Donna D. says:

I think you need to be concerned…

20. Vani says:

Applying castor oil to scalp, navel & feet. (most of times mouth ulcer caused due to heat in body)
    honey/ ghee on the location helps to heal

It can be caused due to stress/ anger (I know someone who gets frequent mouth ulcers due to this reason)
    If mouth ulcers appear before menstrual cycle watch for salt intake. (esp 7days prior to start of menstrual cycle)

And also taking Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) twice a day helps to heal faster (incorporate foods which has Vit B2)

21. vlora says:

I don’t comment usually but seeing that so many are reserved with this alum for safety reasons, I just wanted to add that in my country of origin (Macedonia) we use quite effectively BAKING SODA for canker sores. Do it exactly in the same way as proposed in this article with alum.

22. Jo says:

My mom always made us kids use alum on canker sores and it did work, super pucker power, but it did work! I forgot all about doing this, thanks for the reminder.

23. marjo says:

I have suffered from for years from canker Sores, they comes to me every month
    No medicine to heal me until I discovered that the cause was that toothpaste containing Sodium Laurel Sulfate.. I have three years that I use toothpaste “SLS free” and canker sores disappear forever from me..

24. carol says:

I find salt water does it.

25. Cassidy says:

I have bracies so getting canker sores suck but I find that salt works it burns super bad but works great all you got to do is dry your sore with a paper towel and then dip your finger in salt put it on your sore wait a few seconds then rise your mouth with salt water then dry your mouthe with the paper towel then your pain is gone

26. Jeff Ellis says:

Baking Soda works GREAT- AWESOME every time & is NON TOXIC I have been using it for 37 YEARS
    learned of it from an old school Nurse. Try it you will LOVE IT !!

jeff ellis

1. Donna D. says:

So Jeff… Do you apply the baking soda in the same manner as the alum? i.e. leave it on for a minute — don’t rinse — then spit it out.

1. jEFF ELLIS says:

Just wet a Q tip with water then touch it into the baking soda pick up a clump then put it directly on the canker sore & leave it there to dissolve away at it’s own pace .It works so GOOOOD it is simply AMAZING !!
        ALL GLORY BE TO GOD !!
        SHALOM SHALOM !!
        jeff ellis

2. Jeff Ellis says:

Just put it on & leave it . It will not harm you .

27. Makayla says:

I have a Canker sore right now , I read the comments and used salt !! Guess what ? The pain is gone already and It only took about a minute , salt is the easiest and best tasting way to go lol

28. jane says:

I’d avoid alum(inum) anything. For pain, dab a bit of clove oil on it. Speed up healing by gargling with salt water or diluted peroxide. For long term treatment heal the gut. Gums and gut share the same lining so canker sores in the mouth may indicate same condition in your belly. Gluten free did it for me.

29. Maria says:

I’d stay away from alum since it is a kind of aluminum, a toxic ingredient used in some baking powders and many under-the-arm products. Aluminum is capable of crossing the brain barrier and accumulating in the brain. Doing a thorough googgle search for medical articles on this kind of toxicity would be helpful.

30. ohiograndma says:

I swear by dilute hydrogen peroxide. I also periodically brush my teeth with baking soda and salt. I haven’t had a canker sore in years.

31. Linda Smith says:

I have found that a little peroxide on a Q-tip and dabbed into canker works amazingly quick…however it really stings but definitely worth a few seconds of endurance to get rid of the pesky canker sore.

32. This is my first time go to see at here and
    i am genuinely impressed to read all at single place.

33. Jeannie says:

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your site,
    how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account
    helped me a applicable deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vibrant clear concept

34. Cyc Jouzy says:

Ive been getting them almost every year since 2007, now Im 18 years. These things are paiful guys :'(

35. I couldn’t resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

36. Quality articles is the key to invite the people to go to
    see the web site, that’s what this website is providing.

37. Robbie says:

You’re so interesting! I do not think I’ve read through anything like this before.
    So good to find another person with a few genuine thoughts on this subject matter.
    Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This
    web site is something that’s needed on the internet,
    someone with some originality!

38. Briana says:

Just regular tea bags, like lipton or does there have to be a specific kind?

39. Sarah R says:

I never comment on things like this, but I was in desperate need of finding a solution to my canker sore! I get them a few times every year and they are tolerable, but this time around it was so bad that by the end of the day, I could barely talk and had the worst pain/discomfort ever. After some research and reading about this blog, I decided to try the alum powder. I applied the powder about 4 hours ago and the pain is almost completely gone as well as the canker sore! I will always be using this remedy from now on. Thank you so much!!!!

40. MandyL says:

Oh man I have a big canker sore right now and it hurts soooo bad :( I’m trying to find a way to get rid of it and I’m 26 and have been getting them for a while and haven’t found a way to help them go away. My whole lip got really big and swollen last night ? All I no is I hate when they spread and I will try anything?! Please help :(

1. Stacy says:

I know this is almost a year late, but I thought I’d share a tip. It’s both preventive and curative. My mom struggled for years with canker sores. Then, someone told her that eating a few raisins would help. (I think grapes would as well, but it’s easier to keep raisins in the house perpetually.)

Every day she eats a small palmful of raisins, only about the size of a gumball or so. She never gets canker sores at all anymore! It’s easy and cheap.

41. MandyL says:

Okay so I just read all these lovely post and I now would like to no where I can find this stuff I can put on the sore? I’m ready with my keys in my hand to hit the store as soon as I no :)

42. Matt says:

Everything is toxic in large amounts. That is why they say use a small amount… womp womp.

43. Victoria Lohr says:

Yes, my father taught me to put alum on canker sores when I was a teenager. Great success! Only one sore was bad enough to blister after treatment. Thank you for the reminder!

44. Karen Y. says:

This is what I’ve always done! Might have to do it more than once, but it was a lifesaver when I had braces!

45. Karen Y. says:

OK, I was replying to someone using peroxide & a Q-tip!

46. Hey there just happened upon your website via Google after I typed in, “How To Naturally Get Rid of Canker Sores In Minutes With No Medicine!” or something similar (can’t
    quite remember exactly). Anyhow, I’m glad I found it simply because your content is
    exactly what I’m looking for (writing a university paper) and I hope you don’t mind if I gather
    some material from here and I will of course credit you as the reference.

47. Gail says:

I have used alum many times and it does work. What I do is cut a small 2 inch square of coffee filter or paper towel, put alum in the middle and fold it up into a little envelope. I then wet it so the alum soaks through easier and hold it on the sore for as long as I can stand it. I keep a spit cup handy as you do produce saliva and you don’t want to swallow. The pain disappears within 1 day.

1. Halle Cottis says:

Thanks so much for this tip!

1. Laurn says:

48. beatrice says:

I always have canker sores one after the other or even more at once. some say it might be the toothpaste Im using,now I am not sure..Please help me get rid of them.

49. Rosemari Nastor says:

I m using hemoform serum which is really help me to get rid of canker sores.

50. David says:

I believe a common cause of ulcers is sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate, commonly found in toothpaste and some mouthwashes. It is also regularly found in shampoo but obviously you don’t put that in your mouth.

51. shannon says:

Just salt or salt water to get rid of canker sore

52. Joni says:

My father always told me to use Silver Nitrate sticks on an canker sore.

53. Jm says:

I’m doing it right now, hope it works, I had 8 sores at once when I was 7 and I cried a lot on that time, only now that my mother told me this, hope this really works

54. Laurel says:

I bought Oregano Essential oil just for the purpose of ridding myself of the horrible canker sore on my tongue. I have heard it disappears overnight but it DIDN’T! How long is this going to take?

55. You are so cool! I do not believe I’ve read anything like that before.
    So wonderful to discover another person with
    a few genuine thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously..
    thank you for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is needed on the web,
    someone with a bit of originality!

56. What’s up to every one, as I am actually keen of reading this website’s post to
    be updated on a regular basis. It consists of pleasant

57. Justina Furman says:

I have canker sores all throught out my mouth and starting down my throat can anyone tell me of something i can drnk to remove these fast????

1. regan says:

try Benadryl! Go to the Dr. and ask for Magic Mouthwash – it’s Benadryl and Mayloxx if you want to make it yourself. Crush up benadryl and put in the Mayloxx – swish and spit. The Magic Mouthwash prescription also has Lidocane (sp?) in it as a numbing agent.

58. Jl says:

As someone who gets several canker sores a month (often lasting weeks at a time, making me unable to sleep, eat, or speak) I can safely say that salt does not accomplish the same results as alum. Hydrogen peroxide may work if I can get to it before the ulcer’s crater forms, but once it ulcerates, it won’t help. For this kind of pain and frequency, I want a SURE thing. Powdered alum is the only thing that works for me.

1. regan says:

59. Angie McFarlane says:

HemoForm Serum is the best medication for a cold sore. I have used for years and it works like gang busters.

60. VCC says:

have you seen a doctor? you might have some kind of inflammatory condition (like ulcerative colitis)

61. Annie says:

Our home remedy that I learned from my Dad is to put Baking Soda right on the Canker. It goes away within one to two days. Put it on each day. I live by this! It always works!

62. Annie says:

Oops I meant to say Cold Sore. Not canker. Put BAKING SODA ON YOUR COLD SORE! IT WORKS AND GOES AWAY IN 1 TO 2 DAYS. Put it on each day. Let it sit on there for a bit. Salivia will later mix with the Baking Soda. Swish it it around with the saliva ans let it sit for a while in the mouth. It works!

1. Ann says:

I got a sore on my tongue for the first time in my life today and tried your suggestion (I always use it for brushing teeth anyway). I sprinkled the soda on the spot and let it sit there awhile, then spit it out. Feels much better already and isn’t as big a bump as at first. Will keep applying it till it hopefully goes away.

63. Annie says:

Oops it is Canker Sore not Cold Sore. Canker is inside the mouth. Baking Soda takes it away in 1 to 2 days!

64. rittko says:

Aluminum Sulfate is what most deodorants are made out of…salt has always worked for me…

65. Kathy says:

When I have had canker sores,but no alum, I have substituted a vitamin C tablet. I usually break it in half and put it right on the sore. Leave it on as long as can. It will sting just like alum, but seems to work for me.

66. MN pediatrician says:

Umm… Don’t get the concern against medicine here, but technically alum is a medicine – potassium aluminum sulfate. It’s an astringent (drying agent and vasoconstrictor). Same thing that’s found in styptic pencils that work just as well. Just because you buy it off the shelf at the grocery store doesn’t mean it’s different than something you’d get at a pharmacy, it just helps to know why what you’re using works or doesn’t. Thanks for the article, alum works well for my canker sores

67. Mal C says:

I get them all the time, but I’ve found that it’s not anything having to do with diet for me. I bite my lips in my sleep sometimes, or other times during the day. Sure enough, wherever I bite ends up being a canker sore the next day or so. I assume it has something to do with the biting making it an open wound and allowing bacteria inside. I’ve always used salt, but I’m excited to try this alum powder solution! Thank you so much!

68. Wendy says:

I swish with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water solution then brush my teeth with peroxide and baking soda the store is no longer store within hours and is gone by the next day..

69. Chrissy says:

I have Parkinson’s Disease. are canker sores related?

70. tom says:

SLS from tooth paste also can trigger most canker sores. For me was the problem so i am getting organic tooth paste

71. Alyssa says:

I recommend the L-lysine. My Mother would get cold sores all over her lips. It was a constant problem. They were painful and looked horrible. After she took the L-lysine pills, she never suffered with sores again. She attributes this to the pills.

72. Julian says:

Wow all these People commenting really annoying

73. Jessica says:

I got sick last week with some kind of flu. It has been over a week and still sick 1 The worst part is I also ended up getting canker sores all over one side of my mouth and slightly down my throat. I am in so much pain I can hardly swallow, wake up a lot at night from the pain etc… Gargling salt water hasn’t helped very much. But when it hurts really bad rinsing my mouth helps a bit temporarily. I think the acid in saliva irritates them ! I don’t have any alum on hand and never seen it the grocery store spice section. I am going to try backing soda…It might neutralize the acid in my saliva a bit and give m some relief..I can only hope ! The pain is intense right now…I am miserable and have had them all over my mouth and throat about 1 week now ! Don’t know how much longer I can take this pain !

1. a says:

you have strep throat…

74. Mary says:

I’ve been getting canker sores forever. I have 7 right nowand my lips swell. They are very painful. I just got alum. I really hope it works.I’m feeling kinda desperate for some relief.

1. abbas says:

Hi Marry,
      I am really in trouble in canker sores and comes unexpectedly anytime. the lesion are very painful. This problem of canker sores are since more than ten years. kindly let me know how I overcome the problem. In your message, I did not know the alum. Please If you have any treatment so suggest me.

75. Brayan says:

Wow all these People commenting really annoying

76. Aiden says:

There is no singular cause to canker sores and cutting one thing out of your diet may prevent them but it will vary from person to person. I usually get them when I don’t sleep and it has nothing to do with what I eat. You guys will inevitably fail if you try to pinpoint one singular cause of canker sores.

77. Michael says:

Here’s one that I haven’t seen listed: a raisin. My grandmother taught me to put a raisin on my cancer sore and leave it against it until it is soggy. Works like a charm.

1. Donna D. says:

So Michael… how long does it take before the raisin gets soggy? Does it hurt or sting? Does the pain go away immediately? Do you do it again?

1. Stacy says:

My mother just eats a small, gumball sized pile of raisins every single day. She no longer gets any canker sores. I get them so infrequently that I just eat a few if one pops up (like when I bit my mouth and one formed). It’s gone within about 24 hours.

There is no pain from eating the raisin. The pain will reduce, slowly, over the next 24 hours a bit at a time. It’s not instantaneous.

78. Michael says:

“canker sore” No, raisins don’t fix cancer to my knowledge :-)

79. Laurn says:

80. Andrew says:

I suggest rolling a (clean) paper towel into a small pad and placing that on the sore while you sleep. (It helps with moisture). You can do this after treating it otherwise. I like hydrogen peroxide and salt water the best, while mouthwash seems to give you some decent quick relief. I alternate those, and plan to experiment with essential oils a bit more.

Of course simply avoiding excessive strains on the body/immune system seems to be the best thing. Sleep, stress, diet (sugar, processed foods, starches, etc, all are suspect), and other illness all seem to be big factors. As each person is a bit different (as well as their environment) I don’t think the causes or treatments are going to be 100% identical for everybody. So just try a few until some seem to help.

81. Celia says:

I get canker sores in my mouth from stress, like lack of sleep. I have tried Marmite & it has worked. You just put a dab on the sore. It hurts like heck for a minute or two. I have had sores go away within hours of doing this. I believe it works because Marmite has lots of B vitamins including B 12. Marmite is similar to the British Vegemite but has B 12 in it.. It hasn’t always worked for me but a couple of times it was if a miracle had occurred. Hope this helps someone else out there.

82. Tristan riddle says:

I’ve got two sores in my mouth and they keep swelling up and burning don’t use deez nuts cause it could leave a burning in the throat

83. Linda K says:

I remember my mother using alum on canker sores. I had forgotten about using it. Thanks for reminding me.

84. Alex says:

It didn’t work at all it burns and it sucks its hard

85. Bridget says:

Jessica-i have gotten ulcers like you describe, more than a few times(and yes, it’s absolutely miserable!!) This “flu” you had just prior to the outbreak was likely your body trying to fight them off. (For me) just before a particularly bad one, I start to feel extreme tiredness; lymph nodes adjacent to where it’s going to start will start to swell and be painful-(in fact, I’m just now getting over what would have been a HUGE ulcer way back on my cheek, and the nodes were so swollen that it was causing pressure on my ear (and a little on my throat) Before I knew all this, I would have surely thought I had an ear infection, or tonsillitis, one!) also, I’ll often get a low grade fever-just like you’d get with a virus (which is what this is ‘sometimes’ caused from)..just general malaise…I can usually feel a little pinpoint hole and swelling where it’s about to pop up..and if I don’t do anything about it QUICKLY, within a day or two it’ll look like your classic ulcer, with the raised edges, white middle, and PAIN (oh the pain). The styptic pencil, powdered alum, baking soda, salt, sometimes peroxide have all helped me. But mostly the styptic pencil!! I also take Ibuprofen for the pain (just for a couple of days, if it’s REAL bad-like what I was recently experiencing) and I also started taking L-lysine tablets. During all the symptoms, I took (2) 500 mg tabs every 6 hours. I’m now taking 1 tab, 2x a day. I’m hoping this will help me in the future!!! Maybe these tips will help you too. Btw-L-lysine is an essential amino acid–do some research on it! I was VERY surprised!

86. Bridget says:

Here is one of the sites on L-lysine I read–I found the part under “history” particularly interesting….something to think about!

87. Bridget says:

88. Nolan says:

I have one on the bottom of my tongue, any advice how to put this stuff on the bottom of my tongue??

89. Jackson says:

I was always told to wash my mouth out with warm salt water. It stings but after a few swigs it’ll be gone.

90. Brenda says:

I put a slice of lemon on the canker sore; always does the job.

91. Lauren says:

I get canker sores frequently and thought id try alum.I have a bad canker sore right now and I just got done putting alum on it. It stings pretty bad but I’m going to assume that’s normal. About how long after applying the alum should the canker sore stop hurting?

92. jill says:

Silver nitrate sticks… U place the tip on the cancker sure hold it there for 30 seconds burns so bad but then the pain is completely gone and never comes back might take another day or so to heal but it wont hurt.

93. Rebecca dental hygienist says:

So… This may.. And I say may work if you do at the prod tonal stage or at the star of tingling, although I have no clinical data to confirm. The point is, when the ar a starts to tingle, should have that warning, apply your antecdote. Cankers are bacterial in origin (vs. cold sores which are viral), so an anribacterial at the tingling onset is important. As dental problems reason also we rec listerine(or any antibacterial rinse/application) during that time. The ulcer can last from 7-14 days so basically anything will just cut down on its duration. However many of my patients had irritants that provoked their cold sores: stress, biting an area in mouth, whitening paste, preservatives in pastes like salicylate acid, and low ph foods like tomatoes, pineapple, etc.. I even had a patient who broke out in cankers after chocolate!, so go ahead and try alum but this a bacterial issue and if alum doesn’t work, try other eliminations. Lysine pills cam work great on cold sores but may even have evidence to help in cankers so it can hurt t try either I. Studies I’ve read.

94. Rebecca dental hygienist says:

Milk of magnesia application just locally to sore by qtip is another recommendation I’ve heard many say cuts the duration of the ulcer!! Try them, all are different… But ultimately remember.. What caused this ulcer to appear? What can I change in my diet and uses? And I know this is bacterial, so when I feel the tingling onset, I need to apply or swish an antibacterial!