On Sale Now for a limited time! Gluten Free Grain Free Breads, Batters & Doughs If you are gluten free or grain free, this book is for you! Breads, Batters & Doughs teaches you how to cook using alternative flours and offers a collection of incredible recipes! Use coupon code healthy2014 at checkout...

How To Naturally Get Rid of Canker Sores With No Medicine | WholeLifestyleNutrition.com

What Is A Canker Sore?

Have you ever had a sore in your mouth that hurt pretty bad?  Did it take forever to go away?  You probably had a canker sore.

So just what is a canker sore?  Canker sores (aphthous ulcers or aphthous stomatitis) are small ulcers or lesions located in the mouth usually at the base of the gums in soft tissue. Canker sores can also be located on the inner lining of the cheeks, the tongue, and the inside of your lips.

Canker sores are not contagious and usually go away on their own within 1-2 weeks.

Canker sores can be painful however, and you can quickly get rid of them if you follow the tip I am about to give you…but first lets talk about the symtoms of canker sores.

What Are The Symptoms of Canker Sores?

Common symptoms of canker sores are:

• A tingling or burning sensation appears usually on the inside of the mouth 24 hours before it appears.
  • A white, gray or yellow crater appears inside the mouth with a red border surrounding it.
  • The sores become quite painful and it can be hard to drink or eat with the pain.

You may also experience the following: (these symptoms are much less common)

• Fever
  • Swollen lymph nodes
  • Feeling run down, or sluggish

Contact your doctor or dentist if canker sores last more than 3 weeks, if you have a fever or if they start to spread throughout your mouth.

Canker Sores Are Not The Same As Fever Blisters

Many confuse canker sores with fever blisters or cold sores. They are not the same.

Fever blisters or cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV).  They are contagious and usually appear on the outside of the mouth or lip area.

Canker sores are not caused by a virus and are not contagious.  It can be difficult to get rid of a canker sore, however I have a sure proof solution to help you get rid of a canker sores pain within minutes.

What is The Magic Ingredient To Get Rid of Canker Sores?

It can be hard to heal a canker sore because it is inside your mouth.  It is very moist and that can make it very difficult to heal a wound.

To speed up the healing time, I have found it to be beneficial to remove the moisture from the ulcer.  This can be hard to do because the mouth is aways a moist area.

Alum Powder is used for making pickles and pulls the water out of the cucumber.  It does the same for a canker sore too.   By adding alum powder to canker sores, you remove the moisture from the ulcer.  When you remove the moisture, the ulcer has a chance to heal.

Alum Powder

How To Naturally Get Rid of Canker Sores

So to naturally get rid of canker sores, you can use Alum Powder, a common spice found in most kitchens.  Here is how!

Follow these steps to naturally get rid of canker sores:

• Place a small amount of alum (about a size of a pea) directly onto the canker sore.
  • Allow it to sit on the canker sore for 60 seconds.  It does not taste good, it is quite bitter. Do not swallow the alum!
  • After 60 seconds spit out your saliva and the alum.  DO NOT RINSE YOUR MOUTH WITH WATER!  Within several minutes to 24 hours the pain will disappear.

The ulcer may stay for a day or two after you treat the canker sore, but the pain will be gone.  If the pain is not gone after 24 hours, reapply the alum with a second application and repeat the steps above.

That’s it!  So easy and effective. Next time you have a canker sore be sure to try this method out!

Using Essential Oils To Heal Canker Sores

There is one more method to healing canker sores naturally.  You can drop 1 drop of either of two essential oils right on the ulcer.

It will clear up the canker sore really quickly just by using essential oils! Repeat as needed.

Melaleuca Essential Oil – (You Can Buy Here)

Oregano Essential Oil – (You Can Buy Here)

If you would like to learn more about essential oils, check out my Introduction to Essential Oils article.

Source:  http://www.medicinenet.com/canker_sores/article.htm

Disclaimer: Use this home remedy at your own risk. Like nutmeg and cinnamon, ingesting one ounce or more of alum is considered toxic to humans. Not recommended for women pregnant or nursing and kids. Consult your physician before trying home remedies.

Click Here To Pin it

How To Natually Get Rid of Canker Sores In A Matter of Minutes With No Medicine!! | WholeLifestyleNutrition.com

Like This Post? Give It a +1 on G+

54 thoughts on “How To Naturally Get Rid of Canker Sores In Minutes With No Medicine!”

1. Susan says:

Isn’t alum toxic to have large amounts? I’d be nervous to stick it in my mouth and leave it there.

1. Halle Cottis says:

You are putting a pea size amount on your ulcer. This is not a large amount. And you spit it out after 60 seconds.

2. Kelley says:

Great post Halle! My teen gets these sometimes and I’ll make sure to have some alum on hand now!

3. Cheryl says:

I use Grapes Leaves instead of Alum when I can my pickles. Thinking Grape Leaves may do the same thing.

1. Rebecca says:

I think grape leaves and oak leaves work when making pickles because of the high concentration of tannin in them (tea bags are said to work as well). I wonder if tannin has anything in common with alum?

4. KC says:

Coconut oil works too!

5. Catherine Devine says:

I’m in my 60’s and as a child, I got a lot of canker sores. My father always told me to use alum on my sores. It stings and tastes bad, but it works wonders. The sores disappear within a day or two and only the worst ones needed two treatments.

6. Kerry says:

When I stopped eating wheat products, I stopped getting canker sores. The article doesn’t say what causes them. I found out through trial and error. I’ve been gluten/wheat free for three years and only get a canker sore within hours after unintentionally ingesting wheat. Get rid of the wheat, your cold sores will be eliminated.

1. Rebecca says:

That is great to know. I only occasionally eat gluten but since I went “almost gluten free” I rarely get canker sores anymore. However, I also am processed sugar free so maybe that has something to do with it as well. I wonder if different things (food intolerances) can trigger canker sores on different people?

2. miriam says:

I noticed the same thing.. when i eliminated wheat/grain.. my canker sores have disappeared… thank goodness.. because i seemed to always have one and they are painful!

7. Linda says:

You can use alum in the form of a little stick. I think you can buy it by men’s shaving materials. It’s called A Styptic Pencil and it’s made of Aluminum Sulfate. It acts and tastes the same way as alum but is easier to pinpoint the canker sore, especially in hard to reach places. I find that if you can apply it at the first hint of a canker sore, you can stop it before it even becomes an open canker sore.

8. Krystyna says:

What about topical zinc? It also dries out the area and is anti-viral?

1. Marcy says:

Zinc throat drops will actually cause ulcers for many people.

9. Sarah says:

We’ve found that salt works very well. Salt dries out the canker sore and we’ve seen results very quickly!

10. tricia says:

I suck on l-lysine pills. That works for me. Tastes nasty, but it’s effective.

11. CJ says:

I noticed i got a canker sore every time I had something with soy lecithin, especially Peanut M&Ms. At first I naively thought it was the chocolate itself but after having soy-free chocolates I dont see the sores appearing at all. Now when I have a tiny piece of anything with soy lecithin in it I get a sore within hours. I’m still perplexed by it, but at least I”m usually canker sore-less and that’s wonderful in itself .

12. Kathy says:

A doctor told me that canker sores were caused by being deficient in Vit B. Whenever I get canker sores, I realize I haven’t been eating well and need to take a vit B.

13. Jeannie says:

My Mom used this every time we got one of these darn canker sores. Believe me, it works just GREAT. My Mom would have been 100 this year and I believe her Mom taught her this secret. It has obviously been around for quite some time.

14. michelle says:

I’ve been doing this for years as I get them from having Lupus. I lean over the sink with my mouth open and let the saliva drain out for several minutes. Sounds gross, but the sore is usually gone the next day if not sooner.

15. teri says:

I have been using salt to achieve the same end for over 20 years. It will sting at first but fruits it up fast and sore is gone in no longer than a day.

16. teri says:

*Dries* it up fast…

17. Dee says:

This is wonderful…I am 62 years old, but always remember my Mom giving me a pinch of Alum on my cancer sores and it worked like magic. There is a gel that I purchased a number of years later called mytriciean (sp) that worked like alum and cannot find it in my local stores anymore….our son also get’s them, so I will purchase some alum and know it will work, it always has. Wonderful post…thank you so much!

18. Marcy says:

I used to get mouth ulcers all the time. I found my two major causes were Sodium Laurly sulfate and citric acid.
    Sodium Louryl Sulfate is the foaming action in 99% of toothpastes. For this I switched to Jason’s ($8 at the health food stores) or Natural White….from the Dollar store. For the citric acid issue, I can either limit the acid or take an Pepcid or Zantac before the eating more acidic foods. It has cut the number down to 1 every couple of years vs almost continual.

19. Nicole says:

I would be concerned about this because I think alum in metal. No wonder it kills whatever it comes into contact with.

20. Vani says:

Applying castor oil to scalp, navel & feet. (most of times mouth ulcer caused due to heat in body)
    honey/ ghee on the location helps to heal

It can be caused due to stress/ anger (I know someone who gets frequent mouth ulcers due to this reason)
    If mouth ulcers appear before menstrual cycle watch for salt intake. (esp 7days prior to start of menstrual cycle)

And also taking Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) twice a day helps to heal faster (incorporate foods which has Vit B2)

21. vlora says:

I don’t comment usually but seeing that so many are reserved with this alum for safety reasons, I just wanted to add that in my country of origin (Macedonia) we use quite effectively BAKING SODA for canker sores. Do it exactly in the same way as proposed in this article with alum.

22. Jo says:

My mom always made us kids use alum on canker sores and it did work, super pucker power, but it did work! I forgot all about doing this, thanks for the reminder.

23. marjo says:

I have suffered from for years from canker Sores, they comes to me every month
    No medicine to heal me until I discovered that the cause was that toothpaste containing Sodium Laurel Sulfate.. I have three years that I use toothpaste “SLS free” and canker sores disappear forever from me..

24. carol says:

I find salt water does it.

25. Cassidy says:

I have bracies so getting canker sores suck but I find that salt works it burns super bad but works great all you got to do is dry your sore with a paper towel and then dip your finger in salt put it on your sore wait a few seconds then rise your mouth with salt water then dry your mouthe with the paper towel then your pain is gone

26. Jeff Ellis says:

Baking Soda works GREAT- AWESOME every time & is NON TOXIC I have been using it for 37 YEARS
    learned of it from an old school Nurse. Try it you will LOVE IT !!

ALL GLORY BE TO GOD !!
    SHALOM SHALOM !!
    sincerely
    jeff ellis

27. Makayla says:

I have a Canker sore right now , I read the comments and used salt !! Guess what ? The pain is gone already and It only took about a minute , salt is the easiest and best tasting way to go lol

28. jane says:

I’d avoid alum(inum) anything. For pain, dab a bit of clove oil on it. Speed up healing by gargling with salt water or diluted peroxide. For long term treatment heal the gut. Gums and gut share the same lining so canker sores in the mouth may indicate same condition in your belly. Gluten free did it for me.

29. Maria says:

I’d stay away from alum since it is a kind of aluminum, a toxic ingredient used in some baking powders and many under-the-arm products. Aluminum is capable of crossing the brain barrier and accumulating in the brain. Doing a thorough googgle search for medical articles on this kind of toxicity would be helpful.

30. ohiograndma says:

I swear by dilute hydrogen peroxide. I also periodically brush my teeth with baking soda and salt. I haven’t had a canker sore in years.

31. Linda Smith says:

I have found that a little peroxide on a Q-tip and dabbed into canker works amazingly quick…however it really stings but definitely worth a few seconds of endurance to get rid of the pesky canker sore.

32. This is my first time go to see at here and
    i am genuinely impressed to read all at single place.

33. Jeannie says:

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your site,
    how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account
    helped me a applicable deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vibrant clear concept

34. Cyc Jouzy says:

Ive been getting them almost every year since 2007, now Im 18 years. These things are paiful guys :'(

35. I couldn’t resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

36. Quality articles is the key to invite the people to go to
    see the web site, that’s what this website is providing.

37. Robbie says:

You’re so interesting! I do not think I’ve read through anything like this before.
    So good to find another person with a few genuine thoughts on this subject matter.
    Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This
    web site is something that’s needed on the internet,
    someone with some originality!

38. Briana says:

Just regular tea bags, like lipton or does there have to be a specific kind?

39. Sarah R says:

I never comment on things like this, but I was in desperate need of finding a solution to my canker sore! I get them a few times every year and they are tolerable, but this time around it was so bad that by the end of the day, I could barely talk and had the worst pain/discomfort ever. After some research and reading about this blog, I decided to try the alum powder. I applied the powder about 4 hours ago and the pain is almost completely gone as well as the canker sore! I will always be using this remedy from now on. Thank you so much!!!!

40. MandyL says:

Oh man I have a big canker sore right now and it hurts soooo bad :( I’m trying to find a way to get rid of it and I’m 26 and have been getting them for a while and haven’t found a way to help them go away. My whole lip got really big and swollen last night ? All I no is I hate when they spread and I will try anything?! Please help :(

41. MandyL says:

Okay so I just read all these lovely post and I now would like to no where I can find this stuff I can put on the sore? I’m ready with my keys in my hand to hit the store as soon as I no :)

42. Matt says:

Everything is toxic in large amounts. That is why they say use a small amount… womp womp.

43. Victoria Lohr says:

Yes, my father taught me to put alum on canker sores when I was a teenager. Great success! Only one sore was bad enough to blister after treatment. Thank you for the reminder!

44. Karen Y. says:

This is what I’ve always done! Might have to do it more than once, but it was a lifesaver when I had braces!

45. Karen Y. says:

OK, I was replying to someone using peroxide & a Q-tip!

46. Hey there just happened upon your website via Google after I typed in, “How To Naturally Get Rid of Canker Sores In Minutes With No Medicine!” or something similar (can’t
    quite remember exactly). Anyhow, I’m glad I found it simply because your content is
    exactly what I’m looking for (writing a university paper) and I hope you don’t mind if I gather
    some material from here and I will of course credit you as the reference.
    Thanks.

47. Antonio Bernard says:

This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure herpes, i never believe that this will work i have spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the herpes in my body, he prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the end of the one month, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my friend who was also suffering from herpes to the Dr OSAS, after the treatment she was also confirm herpes free . He also have the herb to cure cancer. please i want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his email address, doctorosasherbalhome@gmail. com do email him he is a great man. the government is also interested in this DR, thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify for your good work

Add Comment Register