Stepping Into Spring With Your Canine Friends And A Holistic Gluten Free Dog Treat Recipe
Spring…A Welcomed Season After A Long Winter
After being buried in the snow in Kansas City for the last few weeks and cold temperatures, we had a spring-like day and you can bet I was going to take advantage of it! The “kids” and I headed outside for fun in the sun and little did they know, yummy treats were in order.
I am always looking for healthier snacks for our “Cainine Kiddos” (I know “Cainine is spelled wrong, but not for me…check out my last name) .
We have three very pampered pooches who have sensitive tummies and allergies so we have to be very careful what we feed them. Have you read the ingredients lately on the box of dog treats lately? Scary business!
So before we venture into the kitchen, I thought I would head outside on this beautiful spring day to get some fresh air and play a little with my 3 pooches!
Meet My Dogs: Nikki, Andy & Smokie
So after a long winter indoors with minimal exercise, we decided to get this spring season kicked off right! We headed outdoors to play a little fetch!
I always liked the saying that a dog doesn’t stop playing when he gets old, a dog gets old when he stops playing! (Think about that one for a moment)
So here are my dogs: Nikki, Andy & Smokie ready for some fun on this amazing spring day!
Oh, the anticipation! Nikki and Andy getting ready.
Here we go! Nice catch Nikki!
Andy going for it!
Way to guard the compost bins, Smokie!
He has other talents, catching a ball or frisbee isn’t one of them.
Time to rest while I head into the kitchen to make some treats.
Lets Make Some Holistic Dog Treats!
Now that the “kids” are resting, it’s time for me to head into the kitchen to whip up a batch of my pooches favorite dog treats!
I think you all are going to me amazed how easy it is to make these delicious treats. An added bonus is that it won’t cost you hardly anything to make a batch of these cookies, making these dog treats an incredibly thrifty choice!
This recipe has six simple ingredients: Raw or Organic milk, brown rice flour, sea salt, raw honey, pastured eggs and organic pumpkin.
Wow, could it be any simpler? So lets whip up this batch together! Your 4 legged friends are going to go CRAZY for these!
Needless to say, the “Cainine Kiddos” were ready for their special snacks.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 54 minutes
Yield: 50 medium cookie treats
Serving Size: 1 treat
Recipe adapted from Simmer Till Done
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 can organic pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey
- 3-4 cups of brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons of raw milk or organic milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix eggs, sea salt, raw honey and organic pumpkin until smooth in a large bowl.
- Add in brown rice flour a little bit at a time with a spatula or hands until dough is stiff.
- Press dough on a floured surface using brown rice flour (may need to add in more brown rice flour and knead). Press out with hands or rolling pin.
- Cut out with any type of cookie cutter. Put on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- May poke holes with a fork for a pattern.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then flip cookies and bake for another 15-20 minutes. (adjust times times for consistency of cookies, less time for softer ones).
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack before serving.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Your support keeps this blog running and is greatly appreciated.
What are the indgredients in your pet’s treats?