What are these Insects?
Alright, does anyone have these little insects crawling around their home right now? I do, I took the picture below earlier today.
One might think that these are cute little ladybugs, but with a closer look, they will see that they are actually Asian lady beetles.
Asian lady beetles are quite different then ladybugs and can quickly invade a home if they are not dealt with quickly.
How Can I tell if these are ladybugs or lady beetles?
Here are a few signs that you actually have Asian lady beetles instead of ladybugs.
- The color of the lady beetles shell is a brownish orange and younger ones can be a bit red in color. They are usually not the vivid red color of a ladybug.
- Lady beetles have a scent, and smell. When they fear danger, they let off this strong scent to warn other lady beetles that danger is near.
- Lady beetles multiply quickly. If you notice several quickly appearing in your home, it is most likely lady beetles.
- Lady beetles hibernate in the winter usually in the walls of homes. In very early spring (still very cold outside, in my case below freezing), they start to wake up and make their way indoors to stay alive.
- Ladybugs die off in the fall and lady beetles hibernate. If it is still really cold outside (Below 50ºF) and you are seeing insects that look like ladybugs, you most likely have lady beetles and not ladybugs in the home.
These are just a few ways to figure out which insect is in your home.
10 Ways To Get Rid of Ladybugs AKA Asian Lady Beetles
Getting rid of lady beetles can be somewhat challenging. Here are 10 natural ways to help you get rid of ladybugs AKA Asian lady beetles in your home.
1. Winterize Your Home – Lady beetles come in to the house most likely in the fall or even closer to winter. They then hibernate and when it starts to warm up in the spring they come out of hibernation and work their way into the homes to stay alive. In the fall, they will often find a place in the walls to sleep for the winter. By winterizing your home, be sure to seal your doors and windows. Caulk the windows, replace weather stripping if needed and make it hard for any creatures to essentially get into your home.
2. Act Fast – One of the most important things you can do when you notice these bugs in your home is to act fast. These bugs can quickly multiply! They are really good at communicating with one another with their scent and this quickly attracts more into your home. Act fast to get rid of them before the problem gets out of hand!
3. Choose A Dark Colored Home – Lady beetles are attracted to lightly painted homes. If you really have a problem, consider changing the paint on your home to a darker color. This will help keep them out of your home.
4. Start gardening – Lady beetles are great for your garden! They eat aphids, a little bug that can really harm your garden. Welcome lady beetles into your garden, they can really be beneficial!
5. Plant Mums – Lady beetles do not like mums. Be proactive and plant mums around the windows and around the entrance of the house. Did you know that mums are a key ingredient in flea powder as well. Protect your home from all kinds of insects with mums!
6. Vacuum Them Up – Using your attachment tools on your vacuum, vacuum up these lady beetles. Most of the lady beetles will survive being vacuumed up. If you have a garden, you can transfer them to your garden to help get rid of aphids. If you prefer to get rid of them all together, place the vacuum bag into a sealed plastic bag or you can burn the bag that they are in.
7. Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder – Diatomaceous Earth Powder can be spread around the base of your home. This will not only help prevent lady beetles from entering the home at ground level, but it will also help deter other creatures as well.
8. Remove The Lady Beetles Scent – This can be quite hard to do, as you often can not smell the scent unless the lady beetles senses danger. Lady beetles do not like citrus or citronella scents so use this scent liberally when wiping up after these bugs. Make a citrus spray with Wild Orange Essential Oil (You Can Buy It Here) diluted in some water. Spray liberally in areas you see the lady beetles in.
9. Use Cloves – Whole Cloves are another scent that lady beetles do not like. Place small bags of cloves in areas that are heavily infested. The smell will help in aiding these little insects to find a new home.
10. Use Bay Leaves – Whole Spice Bay Leaves, Whole can also be used to get rid of lady beetles. Lady beetles do not like the scent of bay leaves. Try making small pouches of bay leaves and cloves and place them around heavily infested areas.
With all of these tips, you will be on your way to get rid of ladybugs AKA Asian lady beetles forever! Got any tips for us? Feel free to leave them in the comment section below.
My New Book ~ Natural Solutions for Cleaning & Wellness
Did you like this natural solution? Then you’ll love my new book! I’ve written a book that that can help you and your family to transition into a Toxic-Free life!
Natural Solutions for Cleaning & Wellness is dedicated to giving you the information you need to remove toxins from your home and supply you with natural remedies to protect your health. This practical guide gives you in-depth solutions on how to protect yourself and your loved ones for generations to come.
You can Click here to view more details about this amazing book and to learn about the incredible gift bundle included with a book purchase.
This book has over 140 great recipes that are super easy to make with everyday ingredients! Here is a sample of a few solutions featured in this book!
Toxic-Free No-Wick Candle
All Natural Deodorant
No fancy ingredients…just everyday, easy to find ingredients. This book is a must have for EVERY household! Learn more details here.
I have been battling the @$*+@$ beetles since 2000. Some years are better than others. Last year not so bad. This year I’m sweeping up hundreds everyday. We have a dark cedar sided house that they love. We’ve sprayed, used fly tape, bought a bug zapper, etc. but I haven’t tried lemon so thanks you guys for that possibility. And as to the comment about burning the house down to keep your sanity, my husband suggests that every year.
essays online says
Interesting article, but I still do not understand why get rid of ladybirds and why they interfere with the gardeners.
These are pretty and very beautiful insects that do not bring any harm to others. It is a pity that at our university there were no studies related to insects, on biology we are asked to write boring essays on various topics related to domestic animals. And if you do not write them, they can expel you from the university. Fortunately, we with the classmates found an online service to write an essay and now we hand over all the works on time.
I have been told that they do not bite. What you feel is the liquid that burns you when they urinate on you. Disgusting!
1 followed by 5 then 10 OMG!!!!! I had to burn incense(sandal frag) for 6 hours then 2 bay leaves & sprinkle camphor powder all around the window panes, now I do not see them .Hopefully they are gone . I will let you all know if they stopped the invasion
Sandalwood ** incense Sticks
so many useful and interesting comments
Monica Green says
Neither the cloves or bay leaves have worked for me. They are crawling all over them. I think they like the scent!! 🙁
Very disappointed. I wanted to use something natural to repel them.
This article is very confusing and misleading. There is a definite difference between Lady Bugs vs Lady Asian Beetles.
The title “10 Ways To Get Rid of Ladybugs AKA Asian Lady Beetles” is incorrect. They are NOT the same. Ladybugs are very valuable to your garden and should never be killed. Asian Lady bugs however are a totally different story. This article throughout confuses and uses both terms which there is a lot of incorrect information.
DO NO KILL LADYBUGS. They are extremely important and valuable to a garden.
Came here to see if anyone mentioned this. Ladybugs are ladybugs and are NOT AKA Asian Lady Beetles!
Thank you for this great article! I like everything ecological and tips on beauty! Your blog is great!
so u have to get some dogs or cats they like to eat them