For many years, I have had a very difficult time sleeping! 10 years ago I was prescribed sleeping medicine to help me sleep. Little did I know back then how terrible these were for you and how hard it is to get off of sleeping medicine. As I made my journey to a healthier lifestyle, I knew it was time to get off of this medicine. With the help of Chris Dillon of Nu-Health Strategies I was able to do just that!
Today I am going share a recipe that Chris Dillon created for me that helps me sleep naturally. I have a glass of this drink every night and it really helps me relax and get sleepy and more importantly it helps me stay asleep! Here are the ingredients; Bedtime tea, unrefined sea salt, natural sugar (raw honey, sucanat etc…), gelatin and fat.
There are several element to this drink and Chris explains why it is necessary to include each ingredient in this recipe.
Salt: Salt brings down adrenalin and other stress hormones. The reason why people have trouble falling asleep or wake up in the middle of the night is due to stress hormones being elevated. Salt down regulates their actions.
Sugar: Honey or sugar is a disaccharide (glucose and fructose). Fructose inhibits glucose from blood sugar to spike. Glucose by itself will cause blood sugar handling issues. This is why honey, sugar and fruit will not spike blood sugar. When you sleep, you are fasting and you need reserved glycogen stored in your liver to help maintain balanced blood sugar levels while you sleep. When our blood sugar drops, it raises our stress hormones and causes us to wake up. Having a sugar reserve helps prevent this from happening along with the salt to control adrenalin rising.
Gelatin: Gelatin is a protein that is high in proline and glycine which helps counteract tryptophan and cysteine’s stressful effects on the brain. Glycine is recognized as an “inhibitory” neurotransmitter, and promotes natural sleep. Tryptophan is the precursor to serotonin, which causes inflammation.
Fat: Fats like heavy cream, milk, cheese and so forth help balance the ratios of proteins and carbs in the tea. The fats help keep blood sugar balanced.
I should also note that “bedtime tea” does state to consult your healthcare provider prior to use if you are pregnant or nursing, taking any medication or if you have a medical condition. You can also choose a green tea, red tea, white tea etc…just make sure that there is no caffeine in the tea and that the tea is a right fit for you.
You can play around with this recipe to see which amounts suit you, but it is very important to have all of these elements to create a restful nights sleep. Give it a try and let me know how your nights sleep was!
- 1 teabag of [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RI8O26/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000RI8O26&linkCode=as2&tag=wholelifesn0f-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]bedtime tea[/url]
- 16 oz of filtered water
- 1/4-1/2 tsp [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EITYUU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000EITYUU&linkCode=as2&tag=wholelifesn0f-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]unrefined sea salt[/url]
- 1/4-1/2 tsp natural sugar (sucanat, raw honey, etc..)
- 1 tbsp [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KG7EDU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005KG7EDU&linkCode=as2&tag=wholelifesn0f-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]gelatin[/url] from a grass fed source
- 2-3 tsp half and half, heavy cream, raw milk
- Heat water in kettle.
- Add all ingredients to your cup except your cream and tea bag.
- Pour hot water into your cup and stir.
- Add cream and tea bag and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bag and drink.
About Chris Dillon
Chris Dillon is a Chek Practitioner, Holistic Nutrition & Lifestyle Coach, Metabolic Typing Advisor and a Message Therapist. Chris has helped thousands of people to understand health and nutrition better. He is very passionate about educating people about health. I have learned a ton from Chris!
Don’t have all the ingredients? No problem! Click on the links below to see where you can purchase them.
[easyazon-block align=”none” asin=”B0069A60G8″ locale=”us”] [easyazon-block align=”none” asin=”B001LV6I8K” locale=”us”][easyazon-block align=”none” asin=”B000EITYUU” locale=”us”][easyazon-block align=”none” asin=”B004T330PQ” locale=”us”]