When Lice Happens….
Ugh. I don’t know about you, but the second I read anything about lice I start scratching my head. Having them once when I was a kid was more than enough. I hate those little bugs!
But now I have children, so I have to deal with lice outbreaks at their school around once a year. Kids pass around hats and are in close quarters all the time.
The kids act as if lice are the “cooties” they hear about on the playground. If only they were!
What Are Lice, Exactly?
Lice aren’t cooties—they’re little bugs with no wings. These little bugs cling to your hair and set up shop to lay eggs and drink blood. And all the kids go home scratching their heads.
I should say that not showering or being dirty in general has nothing to do with whether or not you attract lice. They like whatever hair they can get!
The key to getting rid of lice is to act fast and be thorough with your treatment.
Why We Should Worry About Lice!
Those of us who try to be extra careful about using natural products know that there’s a lot of chemicals that go into beauty products. Especially hair products. Have you ever read the back of a shampoo bottle??
Unfortunately, the lice have figured it out too. There is now a sub-type of “super lice” that are resistant to a certain chemical in conventional lice treatment. They’ve now been found in 25 states. Scary!
Rest assured, there is a natural solution to get rid of lice once and for all! And it is incredibly effective too!
The Best Thing You Can Use To Fight Lice!
The best thing you can use to fight lice is an all natural product right out of the earth! Pretty cool right?
What is this? Food grade diatomaceous earth!
Diatomaceous earth is a chalk-like substance that is composed of fossilized diatoms that have formed together into silica deposits. The silica deposits are mined out of the sediment of rivers, streams, lakes, and oceans. It is grounded into a fine powder called diatomaceous earth.
Diatomaceous earth effectively kills lice by puncturing their exoskeleton which causes them to dry out and die.
A Natural Head Lice Treatment
After a lot of work, I’ve come up with an all natural head lice treatment for fending off lice.
You’ll be able to use this instead of a chemical shampoo and this will keep the little critters away. Bonus, it smells nicer too!
It is important to note, that all bedding and clothing should be washed in hot water. If you have a sanitize option on your washer and dryer, use that setting.Print
- Mix together the diatomaceous earth and tea tree essential oil.
- Place a small amount in your hands and massage in hair and scalp. Make sure to cover all areas. Diatomaceous earth can create a lot of dust, so you may want to put a mask over your child’s mouth and nose while applying.
- Leave on hair overnight.
- Wash hair next morning and dry with a hot air hair dryer.
- Use a lice comb to remove any eggs or nits out of the hair.
- Make a preventative spray of 1 cup witch hazel and 10 drops eucalyptus, 10 drops rosemary essential oil. Liberally spray daily on dry or wet hair, style as usual.
- Repeat the same process for two more days, or as needed.