This recipe for stuffed acorn squash makes a wonderful fall meal.
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium granny smith apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound grass fed beef
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp dry gluten free oatmeal (2 tbsp dry quinoa can be used if following a grain free diet)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the squash face side down in a large baking dish.
- Add about 1 inch of water to the bottom of the pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking start preparing the filling.
- Over medium heat saute bacon for about 4 minutes.
- Add apples and onions and saute for another 4 minutes.
- Add beef, breaking it up into pieces, and brown slightly for about 5 minutes.
- Add honey, pumpkin spice, dried sage, salt and pepper and oats or quinoa and heat a few minutes.
- Once squash is done, drain the water and turn the squash over.
- Stuff with beef filling and bake for an additional 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Nutrition Info: Calories: 495.0 Fat: 23.0g Carbohydrates: 49.8g Protein: 25.7g
- Serving Size: 1 halve