Can you say HELLO to these delicious little gems — yep they are gems! Have you ever cooked with turnips before?
If you haven’t, don’t worry. Neither had I, to be honest. I never knew what to do with them.
Then in this week’s CSA box, there were 3 of them right in front of me and I said, “Looks like it’s time for me to create a delicious turnip au gratin recipe”, so that is just what I did!
Everything is better when it is au gratin, wouldn’t you agree?
Yay-yay-yay, I get it…probably not the most healthy of recipes out there but as I always say, everything in moderation!
I mean who doesn’t love the gooeyness of cheese? Got your attention yet?
This recipe is super easy and just requires a tad bit of layering and a few ingredients and it is ready to pop in the oven!
And once it comes out, it will be bubbly and absolutely beautiful! Can you taste it now?
Is this deliciousness coming through your screen yet?
How about now, can you taste it yet? Creamy, buttery, and absolute deliciousness!
Now go out and get you some turnips already, what are you waiting for?
The Best Turnip Au Gratin Recipe is super easy and just requires a tad bit of layering and a few ingredients and it is ready to pop in the oven!
- 3 large turnips
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shaved parmesan
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Peel, trim and slice the turnips very thinly. I used my mandoline.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Put a layer of turnips on the bottom of the skillet on top of the butter.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and add 1/3 cup cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.
- Add a tbsp of butter, cut into small pieces and place on top of this layer.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp milk over the turnips, top with some fresh thyme.
- Repeat steps 4-7 until a total of 3 layers are formed. Finish with a cheesy top.
- Bake for 25-30 minute until bubbly and brown.