Transitioning To A Toxic Free Home
Over the past year I have put a HUGE focus on living a toxic free life! Wow, who knew there were so many toxins out there!
There is one book that has taught me SO much and I just have to tell you about it!
Have you seen the book Toxic Free by Robin Konie of Thank Your Body? It is hands down, the best book I have read that helped me transition my home into a toxic free place.
I’m going to dive into this book in just a moment, but first lets dive into getting rid of those smelly towels shall we?
Someone Please Help Me Get Rid of These Sour Towels!
Okay, so this has been a HUGE problem in my household. A bit embarrassing yes, but we have STINKY TOWELS!!
Alright, who is with me here? There is nothing more frustrating then to get out of the bath feeling fresh only to dry off with a towel that stinks and sticks with you for hours.
So as always I set out to find a solution to my problem. I mean last year I discovered how to get rid of a bad smelling high efficiency washer machine forever, and I still use that tip to this day!
My Attempts To Get Rid of Sour Towels
So the experimenting began. Last week I began to test and let me tell you…if there was a camera in my laundry room, you would all be getting a laugh right now.
Let me start by saying that my first instinct was to add vinegar. Vinegar kills odors in washer machines and I am sure they could help freshen my towels.
- Round 1: So the first load I used vinegar on a hot cycle. Bing….laundry done, opened my front loader and whoa…still smells! I didn’t even have to get them out.
- Round 2: Next I decided to add vinegar, baking soda and a little laundry soap. HUGE mistake! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Oh my gosh you guys…I felt like I just watched an episode of the Brady Bunch…remember when Bobby put too much detergent in the washer machine and there were bubbles everywhere? Yep, that was my laundry room…so not a good idea! So now you know, combining baking soda and vinegar has the same chemical reaction as it does in baking. It fizzes up and makes a huge mess. Alright, scratch that idea!
- Round 3: Finally I decided to scratch everything BUT the baking soda! No soap, no vinegar, just plain baking soda and guess what…IT WORKED!!!
So here is what you need to do!
How To Get Rid of Sour Towels The Toxic Free Way
Put your towels into your washer machine. Mine is a high efficiency (HE) front loader washer machine but you can also do this with a standard washer machine too.
Add 1/2 cup baking soda right over the towels. Don’t worry about using the dispenser, just pour it right over the towels. If you have a standard washer machine, use 1 cup of baking soda and add it to the towels and then fill with water. DO NOT ADD SOAP OR VINEGAR, ADD NOTHING BUT BAKING SODA!
Run a full cycle using hot water for the wash and rinse cycle. You will be absolutely amazed on how fresh the towels smell.
Dry fully and then fold and use!
Why Towels Start To Smell
There are several reasons towels start to smell.
- They don’t fully dry out and become mildewy
- There is to much moisture in the air which again can keep the towels from fully drying
- Your kids leave them on the floor, again not allowing them to dry fully (uh can you tell that this is my issue)
- You are using too much soap or fabric softener. This one is huge! Many of us use too much and the towels will have a build up of detergent or fabric softener.
Over the last year I have been working on making my household more “green”! I can not believe how much money I am saving and how with little changes here and there, my house is truly becoming more green!
My Favorite New Book ~ Toxic Free by Robin Konie
I have a favorite new book that has absolutely helped me to transition into a Toxic Free life!
Robin Konie of Thank Your Body has some amazing information to share and recently wrote this book, Toxic Free to help us all become less toxic in our homes and in life.
You can Click here to view more details about this amazing book.
Not only does this book have helpful tips in the home, but it also has tips to remove toxins from your lifestyle too!
This book has over 70 great recipes that are super easy to make with everyday ingredients! It isn’t just home products but everyday items like these:
How I Saved A Ton of Money With This Book
Oh and you guys, I can’t not tell you how much money I have saved just by using the recipes in the book. We are talking hundreds if not thousands of dollars!!
Most of the commercial products out there are so bad for the environment and for our health! They are loaded with toxic ingredients and quite frankly, you usually can make your own products at home with very little time and very little money!
No fancy ingredients…just everyday, easy to find ingredients. This book is a must have for EVERY household!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Your support keeps this blog running and is greatly appreciated. AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Whole Lifestyle Nutrition is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here.