How To Transform Rice From Bland To WOW!
I have always been one of those people who enjoy bland foods…hmm? Bland, why do I like bland foods? Because you can recreate amazing dishes that are full of flavor.
Think of it as a blank canvas, once you add the paint to the blank canvas you get an amazing visual piece of art. Once you add some flavor to the rice, you can create an amazing culinary experience!
Lets look at rice as an example. It is very bland but add a bit of salt and it is amazing how much better it taste. Take it a step further and cook it in some homemade stock, WOW…transformed. Why not take it even one step further and toast the rice to bring out the nutty flavor and add a few veggies and spices…what do you get? This amazing rice pilaf!
There are several ways to make this dish. If you want to soak your rice then follow my instructions on How To Soak Grains and Legumes in this post. When soaking time is complete, drain and rinse and proceed with recipe.
I think you will agree that this is the best organic rice pilaf recipe that you have ever made too. It is simple to make and is packed with flavor!
- 1 cup organic basmati rice or jasmine rice, I used Lundberg Organic Jasmine Rice
- 2 cups homemade chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (I used my food processor to get them super thin)
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat a large skillet that has a lid over medium heat.
- Add butter, onions, carrots and celery leaves and sauté for 4 minutes or until the onions start to get soft.
- Push the onion mixture to the side of the pan and add rice and sauté stirring frequently until the rice starts to turn a little brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add stock, salt and thyme to the hot pan, stir and bring to a boil.
- Once you have reached a boil, turn down to a slight simmer and place the lid on and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove rice from heat and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff with fork. Serve immediately
What Do You Think?
What are some of your favorite ways to enhance bland foods?