Welcome to another edition of Family Friendly Fridays! The other day my girls came home and asked me for some Cheez-It® crackers. Cheez-It’s? It must have been a snack that was shared at school. Last year I posted a delicious chicken taco salad recipe. In this recipe, I made a homemade shell out of cheese. I remember thinking that these taste just like cheese crackers. So my mind began to spin and I came up with these delicious, 1 ingredient snack that is way more healthier than a box of Cheez-It® crackers. I googled the ingredients to see what was in Cheez It® crackers and I was not surprised that there was a long list of ingredients!
ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS, SKIM MILK CHEESE (SKIM MILK, WHEY PROTEIN, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO EXTRACT FOR COLOR), SALT, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF PAPRIKA, YEAST, PAPRIKA OLEORESIN FOR COLOR, SOY LECITHIN.
These crackers taste just like the cheez it® crackers but are even better! Only 1 ingredients, and better yet my girls loved them. This makes for a nice occasional treat to enjoy from time to time!
Looking for an alternative to store bough cheese crackers? These crackers are simple to make and taste amazing!
- 1–2 cups grated cheese of choice. Raw cheese does not work for this so pick a quality organic cheese that you like.
- Preheat oven on High broil.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Grease slightly with oil of choice.
- Spread about 1 cup of cheese onto the parchment paper spreading it out slightly into a rectangle.
- Place under your broiler for 5-10 minutes, time varies depending on how hot your oven gets while broiling. Keep a constant eye on your cheese to make sure it doesn’t over cook!
- Once the cheese becomes slightly brown, take out of oven and slice immediately into small squares with a pizza cutter.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and pull off the parchment paper.
- You can also do this in a nonstick skillet. It does not work in a stainless steel pan, so make sure you use a quality non stick skillet.
- Simply put cheese in pan over medium heat and allow to brown fro about 5 minutes.
- Flip and allow the other side to cook for about a minute or two.
- Remove to cutting board and slice immediately.
- Allow to cool and enjoy.