What is Hummus?
I just LOVE this organic sun dried tomato hummus recipe! It makes for a terrific snack and is super easy to make! So just what is hummus?
Over 20 years ago a friend took me to a vegetarian restaurant here in Kansas City and ordered hummus. It sounded scary and I had to wonder what vegetable was a “hummus.” Finding out it was made of chickpeas did not really help me either!
I grew up in a small town in Southwest Missouri and never heard of, seen or thought about eating something that sounded like the cross between a baby chick and peas. 😳 After trying this little mishmash of chickpeas, garlic, tahini (had to get schooled on this one, too), lemon juice and salt, I have to admit, I flipped with excitement!
After looking at the ingredients in store-bought hummus, I found the ingredients to be a bit scary. I soon discovered how easy it is to make my own!
Tahini or not to Tahini?
So just what is tahini? Tahini is olive oil and toasted sesame seeds that are ground into a paste. Not all hummus has tahini in it. There are some who prefer to not have it. However, I think it adds such a depth of flavor, it is a must for mine!
When looking in the store, I found the price of tahini to be quite expensive! It is so easy to make your own, you will not believe it! Organic extra virgin olive oil and toasted sesame seeds; how simple is that?
Adding A Smoky Flavor To Hummus
There are two ingredients that I like to add to give my hummus a smokey flavor.
- Smoked Paprika is one of my favorite spices and I often use it when a recipe calls for regular Paprika to add a little subtle smokiness to the dish.
- Sun dried tomatoes is an ingredient I have used only in the last couple of years and it adds a smoky richness that is to die for!
Adding these two simple ingredients takes hummus to a whole new level; your socks are about to go up in smoke! So are you ready to try this amazing organic sun dried tomato hummus recipe yet?
Quick, Easy and Fuel For The Mind
I had a group of fellow students over for a study group and it is a MUST to serve food for guests at my house. I wanted to serve something quick, easy and healthy.
This smoky organic sun dried tomato hummus recipe came immediately to my mind. It is wonderful with raw veggies, corn tortilla chips and bread of all types.
Needless to say, the girls loved it and I barely had any left to take in my lunch for the week!
This is the most amazing organic sun dried tomato hummus recipe that I have ever tried! You all have to try this one!
- 2 TBSP organic extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1–2 TBSP Tahini (see recipe below)
- 1–2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of organic chickpeas, drained and reserve the liquid
- 4–6 slices of sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- Tahini Recipe
- 1/8 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of hulled sesame seeds
- Place all of the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor and start out with 1/2 cup of reserved liquid. Pulse until desired consistency, adding in reserved liquid, as needed. Serve and enjoy!
- How to make tahini ~Toast sesame seeds by baking on a jelly roll pain at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, stir after 5-6 minutes or in a pan on top of stove on medium heat, stir constantly until seeds are a light brown.
- Add oil and toasted seeds to a high speed blender or food processor until paste-like consistency, using a spatula to push contents towards the center, as needed. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-6 weeks.
Recipe adapted from the Blendtec Recipe Book
Share Your Thoughts
What Quick, Easy and Healthy Snack Would You Like to Have Today?