My girls love to make homemade apple pear sauce. This morning we made some for breakfast, yes that is right for breakfast. Breakfast time is crazy in our household, especially on a school day. This recipe is that simple that we could make it on a crazy morning, a morning where I am trying to get my girls out the door for school.
Here is what you need to do. Core, cut up and peel some apples and pears which will take less than 5 minutes to do. Then simply put them on the stove with a little cinnamon and water, simmer over medium heat with the lid on for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes use a potato masher and mash the apples and pears into a wonderful quick and easy apple pear sauce.
I also want to note that different pears and apples create different consistencies! If you notice in my picture, my apple pear sauce is chunky. My family enjoys a chunky applesauce so we are fine with this consistency. If you want a smoother applesauce, you have several options.
The first option would be to pick any apple and if it creates a chunky applesauce and you want a smoother applesauce, you can simply run it through a food processor, blender or use a stick blender.
Another option is to pick the right apple for the desired consistency that you want. This chart below will give you some great information about the texture, sweetness, consistency, and how long they will store in the refrigerator. This chart was created from my local orchard; Barthel’s. If you live in the Wisconsin area, swing by and check them out. They are just opening up for the season and are starting to harvest cool weather crops!
- 2 organic apples of choice
- 2 organic ripe pears of choice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- Core and peel apples and pears.
- Cut into small chunks and place in a saucepan. Add cinnamon and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher.
- If you desire a smooth consistency, run the applesauce through a food processor, blender or use a stick blender.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (about 4 ounces)