Who doesn’t love an amazing grilled cheese? When I was little my mom made the best grilled cheese ever! The cheese was gooey and would string right out of the grilled cheese!
Today I am sharing my mom’s recipe with a twist. With Thanksgiving around the corner, I wanted to give you some options to use your leftovers up. I always have leftover cranberry sauce every year and usually have no idea what to do with it! You can easily make cranberry sauce into a delicious jam by adding 2 more ingredients to it!
If you do not have cranberry sauce for your Thanksgiving than no problem. I will give you simple instructions to make this delicious orange cranberry jam that will go perfectly with any leftover turkey sandwich or this amazing grilled cheese sandwich!
Nutritional Information is below this recipe.
- 8 small pieces of sourdough bread, gluten free bread, or sprouted grain bread
- 4 oz muenster cheese
- grass fed butter (1 tbsp per sandwich)
- 4 cups of fresh cranberries (or (1) 12 ounce bag)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup unrefined organic cane sugar (rapadura)
- the zest of 1 orange
- the juice of 1 orange
- Clean and pick over cranberries.
- Over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil and add the sugar.
- Dissolve sugar and then add cranberries, orange zest and the juice of 1 orange.
- Bring back to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the cranberries pop.
- Allow to cool for several hours or refrigerate for 3 hours.
- The jam will thicken as it cools.
- If you have leftover cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving, simply add the orange zest and the juice of the orange, stir and allow to marinate for several hours at room temperature. You now have orange cranberry jam!
For Grilled Cheese
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. On the other side spread on a little bit of the jam.
- Place 1 ounce of cheese between two pieces of bread, leaving the two buttered pieces on the outside.
- Preheat a skillet on medium low heat. Muenster cheese takes some time to melt, so be sure to cook your grilled cheese slowly to assure that the cheese has time to melt.
- Place the grilled cheeses into the preheated skillet and cover with a lid.
- Keep an eye on your grilled cheese but this sandwich usually takes about 5 minutes per side to cook.
- When the grilled cheese is slightly brown, flip over and continue to cook on the other side until it is golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1 grilled cheese
What are some of your favorite ways to use up your leftovers from Thanksgiving?
Do you serve cranberry sauce with with your Thanksgiving feast?