What To Look For When Exploring The Outdoors…
This article is about natural home remedies for poison ivy which can be very useful knowledge if you spend lots of time outside.
Especially since we’ve come to the time of year where many of us are out exploring the outdoors.
You’ve got camping, backpacking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking and the list continues to go on and on…
But often there are things in the woods that one should stay clear of, and three of those items are poison ivy, oak, and sumac.
What Is Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac?
Poison ivy and poison oak are Asian and North American plants that, when touched, can cause a red itchy rash.
Poison sumac is a shrub or small tree that and causes a red itchy rash similar to poison ivy and poison oak.
One can get a rash from touching any part of the plants, even if the plant is dead.
Burning in a campfire can also cause irritation. (Excerpt: Natural Solutions for Cleaning & Wellness)
What Do These Plants Look Like?
As mentioned, there are 3 plants that you want to steer clear of in the woods. They are:
- Poison Ivy
- Poison Oak
- Poison Sumac
Here is what they look like:
What To Do If You Should Come In Contact With Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac…
If you notice that you’ve come in contact with any 3 of these plants, wash your skin right away with warm soapy water.
The warm soapy water cuts through the urushiol, the oily allergen found in these plants, and can prevent you from even breaking out with a rash in the first place.
If you do break out in a rash, here’s what typically happens.
Not everyone is allergic to poison ivy or poison oak, but most people will notice some itching and skin irritation within 24-48 hours of contact. Bumps and blisters can appear and ooze liquid. The rash can last anywhere from 5 to 12 days. ~ Halle Cottis of Natural Solutions for Cleaning & Wellness
Do your best not to scratch the rash if you can. Scratching can spread the rash to other parts of the body.
Home remedies for poison ivy should be one of the first steps you take when you come into contact with any of these Toxicodendron Radicans.
Safety Note: Seek medical attention immediately if you experience difficulty breathing, fever, nausea, trouble swallowing, swelling of the face of hands, headache or nausea. If the rash covers more than 25% of your body, see a doctor.
Home Remedies for Poison Ivy that work on Poison Oak and Sumac too!…
If you do come in contact with any 3 of these plants, fear no more…I have a natural solution for you to get rid of it fast!
Here is a natural remedy to help you get rid of any one of these poisons found in the wilderness.
For more great natural remedies like this one, check out my book: Natural Solutions for Cleaning & Wellness.
Oh, and one more thing…if you are looking for a great resource to help you find all your natural ingredients in one spot, I’ve got you covered with Your Simple Guide For Common Ingredients Found in Natural Solutions.Print
- Place the powdered clay and calcium powder in a non-metal bowl.
- Add the water and work it in well with a wooden spoon or with your hands. Add another tablespoon of water if needed and work in. You want a soft, somewhat wet clay mixture.
- Stir in the essential oil and salt.
- To use, place a small amount onto the rash and gently rub in slightly. You don’t want to rub it all in, the clay will harden and help dry out the poison ivy, oak or sumac.
- Apply as needed.