Rosemary and Garlic…A Perfect Marriage!
Who doesn’t love a delicious chip from time to time? My personal favorite, salt and vinegar…but let me tell you, I have discovered a new flavor all together that will have you singing to all your friends.
What is it? A rosemary and garlic, organic chip recipe! Oh my goodness, can I just tell you, rosemary and garlic are a perfect marriage! Add some good quality salt and we are in business!
But hold on, let’s take a look at the ingredients of chips, shall we?
Why You Should Be Making Your Own Chips
I know, who has time to make chips right? But really guys, they are so simple to make and they taste so much better than store bought.
Most store-bought potato chips are made with GMO potatoes, GMO oils, and refined salts! Depending on the brand you buy, they can have loads of other (non-pronounceable) ingredients that you should clearly stay away from. Remember this rule of thumb, if you cannot pronounce the ingredient, stay away from it!
When I make this rosemary and garlic organic chip recipe, I use organic potatoes (sometimes I even grow them myself), coconut oil and/or olive oil and some amazing unrefined sea salt. I clip some fresh rosemary out of the garden, mince some garlic and we are all set to make these amazing chips!
Tips and Tricks To Make The Best Chips!
There are a few tips to making the best chips out there!
- Use organic potatoes. Don’t just stick to one type of potatoes, use sweet potatoes, purple sweet potatoes, red potatoes, russet potatoes…be creative and try different varieties of potatoes.
- Use a mandolin to cut your potatoes very thin. The thinner the better! They will get super crispy the thinner they are. Here is the mandolin that I use and it has lasted me years and has not dulled at all and still cuts super thin potatoes!
- Use good quality oils. I personally prefer coconut oil, it leaves a delicious taste and resembles a “store bought” chip the best.
- Store your cooled chips in a paper bag, not plastic. This will allow them to remain crunchy.
To Fry, Broil or Dehydrate
There are several different methods to make potato chips.
- Fried Chips – this method will give you the most authentic taste to a store bought chip, but it is a bit messy and has quite a bit more calories.
- Dehydrated Chips – this will create a super tasty and healthy chip, but it takes time to make these because you dehydrate on such a low temperature!
- Baked or Broiled Chips – this is my favorite method! So easy, just slice, drizzle and bake or broil!
Alright, so let’s move on to my favorite organic chip recipe ever! I promise you will not be disappointed.
Want a delicious snack that is healthy and good for you? Try this amazing and incredible easy organic chip recipe!
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- With a mandolin, cut the potatoes as thin as you can.
- Place potato slices in a bowl and drizzle with coconut oil or olive oil (or both) and mince the garlic and season with sea salt.
- Add the sprigs of rosemary and toss until well coated.
- Place on a broiling pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- If you want them browner, place under the broiler for a minute or two. Be sure to watch them the entire time, they will brown very quickly.
- Allow to fully cool and serve. Store in a paper bag in a cool dry place.