I love, love, love sweet potatoes! One of my favorite ways to enjoy them is when they are sweet potato chips. I searched high and low for a good sweet potato chip and although they are out there, they are usually filled with some form of bad oils or other harmful ingredients. So today I am going to show you how I dehydrate my sweet potatoes into chips. This recipe came from my dear friend Debbie who always throws me some sort of inspiration either in food or in life! Thanks, Debbie!
The first thing you want to do is wash and peel your sweet potatoes. Slice the potatoes into the thinnest slices possible. For this, I use my mandolin. I love this one Bron Original Stainless Steel Mandolin Slicer. It is important to purchase a quality mandolin. If you choose wisely, it will last you a lifetime.
Once you peel your potatoes, place them in a large bowl and soak for 1 hour changing the water at a 1/2 hour. Remove from water and dry the potatoes on a towel. While they are drying sprinkle generously with unrefined sea salt. Once dry, drizzle 1-2 tsp of melted coconut oil per potato.
From this point, I dehydrated them at 145ºF for about 12 hours. Make sure your sweet potato slices are not touching one another when they are on the trays. Your time may vary depending on the thickness of your potatoes and the temperature you are dehydrating them at. If you do not have a dehydrator, put your oven on the lowest setting and leave the door slightly ajar. Test the chips from time to time and once you get the desired crispness your sweet potato chips are done.
Try these delicious organic sweet potato chips. Super easy to make and full of flavor!
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes as thinly as possible.
- Place in a bowl and soak in water for 1 hour, changing the water at the half hour point.
- Place on a towel to dry a bit.
- Drizzle coconut oil on them. Stir and coat evenly.
- Generously season your sweet potatoes with unrefined sea salt.
- Place the sweet potatoes into a dehydrator and dehydrate at 145-155 F for about 12 hours.
- Check your potatoes periodically to get your desired crispness.
- If using an oven, turn on the lowest setting and leave the door slightly ajar.
- Place sweet potatoes onto a cake cooking rack so that it gets proper ventilation on all sides.
- Cook until desired crispness.
- Serving Size: 1 serving