It really has started to cool down here in Wisconsin! I love fall and with fall comes delicious soup recipes! This is one of my favorite recipes of all time. I can remember making this when I was in college and eating it for the entire week! It was that good!
There are a few things that I want to touch on in this recipe. Corn is in season here. I am lucky to have found a farmer that has GMO Free corn. I highly recommend that you seek out some corn that has not been genetically modified.
Also it is best to use organic potatoes and do your best to find some pasture raised bacon. If you can, try your hand at making some homemade chicken stock. It taste so much better and is absolutely wonderful for you.
Finally if you are looking to add more protein to your soup, then use greek yogurt instead of sour cream. If it doesn’t matter much, you could use either. I use a mixture of both and it taste amazing!
Here is an amazing organic bacon, corn & potato chowder recipe full of nutrient dense ingredients!
- 8 pieces of bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cups diced and peeled red/new potatoes
- 2 ears of fresh corn cut off the cob (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1–2 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- unrefined sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream, greek yogurt or a mixture of the two
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, fry up the bacon for 5 minutes. Do not allow it to overcook or become crispy. Remove bacon from saucepan leaving the bacon grease in the saucepan.
- Over medium to medium high heat, sauté onion and potatoes for 5 minutes in the bacon grease. After 5 minutes add corn and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken stock and allow to simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the cooked bacon pieces pull off burner for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, greek yogurt or a mixture of the two. (I used 1/3 cup sour cream and 2/3 cup greek yogurt).
- Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 serving