Summer is Here And I Want A S’more!
Hey guys, FINALLY, summer is here! If you have been around my blog, you might already know that I live in the Wisconsin area! Yay, we know cold weather and we definitely know a thing or two about snow!
So when summer finally makes its way into our area, we celebrate BIG time! And one way we like to celebrate is with some s’mores alongside a fire!
Finding A Gluten Free Graham Cracker
I searched high and low for gluten free graham crackers. I was quite surprised that there really wasn’t a great option out there.
Yay, I am mostly gluten free, so it was important for me to find either a gluten free graham cracker or to create a gluten free graham cracker recipe.
Finding a good gluten free graham cracker is next to impossible, so that left me with the option to create a delicious gluten free graham cracker recipe that was easy to make and taste out of this world! This is that recipe!
Step by Step Tutorial For Gluten Free Graham Cracker Recipe
So just like my gluten free cracker recipe, this recipe is just as easy! Let’s go through the simple steps to create this amazing gluten free graham cracker recipe!
First put the ingredients in a food processor. A dough will form. This is a forgiving dough! If it is too wet, add a little tapioca flour and knead in. If it is too dry, add in a little more water to create a nice smooth dough.
Roll out the dough right on a cookie sheet. No need to grease the cookie sheet, there is enough fat in the dough that it will not stick to the cookie sheet while baking. You might need to flour the dough with a little tapioca flour to prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
Roll the dough out 1/8″ thin like the picture below. Don’t go too thin or they will be a bit too crispy. I like to roll mine out to about 1/8″ thin, crispy but still soft too!
With a pizza cutter, cut the dough into desired shapes. I like 2-inch squares or even a rectangle, but you can really cut them in any shape desired. Prick the dough with a fork as pictured below.
Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. The time varies depending on how thin or thick you roll out the dough. The graham crackers are done when the start to turn slightly brown. Don’t over bake them.
Take a look from the side. Looks like a real graham cracker doesn’t it? And it tastes like a real graham cracker too!
Now allow them to cool and fire up that outdoor fire! A sneaky trick for you…If you have a gas range, you can roast the marshmallows right over a burner, but hey that might be cheating a bit! 😉
When the coals are good in hot, roast your marshmallows until good and gooey. Place on the gluten free graham crackers and top with some chocolate and get ready to sink your teeth into the BEST S’MORE YOU HAVE EVER HAD!
- 2 1/4 cup of my gluten free all purpose flour mix (note: this recipe has been tested to work with my flour blend)
- 1/2 cup sucanat or organic cane sugar (unrefined and unbleached)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 7 tbsp cold butter
- 1/4 cup cold water (more if needed)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- tapioca flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a food processor, mix together the gluten free flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt and pulse several times.
- Cut the butter into 7 equal cubes of butter and place into the food processor and pulse until mixture resembles a crumbly mixture.
- Add in water, honey and vanilla and blend until dough forms into a ball. If you need more water, add more. If dough is too wet then dust with a little tapioca flour until a non sticky dough forms.
- Separate dough into two balls and roll out onto 2 cookie sheets to about 1/8″ thick.
- With a pizza cutter, cut into desired shapes and use a fork to prick the dough.
- Place into oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Time will vary depending on how thick the dough is.
- Allow the crackers to cool, they will crisp up as they cool.
- Serving Size: 1 cracker