Today for breakfast, I had this delicious frittata! Let me tell you, it was the best frittata I have ever had. I just love frittatas and quiches! Many of you may not know what the differences are between quiches and frittatas so today I thought I would share a little information on the differences between these two dishes.
A quiche is a rich and creamy dish that usually includes cream, half and half or milk to give it a velvety texture. It usually sits in some kind of crust like a potato crust or a pastry crust. An assortment of ingredients such as bacon, mushrooms, broccoli etc… are added to the egg and cream mixture to make a unique quiche of your liking. It is typically baked in the oven.
A frittata is a delicious blend of eggs, cheese and your favorite meats and vegetables. The eggs do not usually have any milk, cream or half and half mixed in. Frittatas typically do not have a crust and they are cooked on the stove top and finished off in the oven.
I chose to make a frittata this morning and it was absolutely delicious! Frittatas are very easy to make and it is a quick way to get breakfast on the table for the whole family! I might also mention that we serve this dish for dinner as well. I like to serve it with a side of fresh organic hash brown potatoes.
So the next time you are looking for a delicious and savory dish to make that the whole family will enjoy, pull out this recipe and give it a try. It is one of my families favorite dishes.
- 7 large organic eggs
- 4 oz pancetta or 4-6 pieces of bacon cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup broccoli spears cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup cheese of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- In an oven safe 10″ skillet over medium heat, cook the pancetta or bacon until almost done (about 7 minutes). If using bacon you might need to remove so it doesn’t get to crisp, but the pancetta will cook up fine with the onions and broccoli.
- Leave the bacon/pancetta grease in the pan and add onion and broccoli and cook for another 5-7 minutes until almost fully cooked.
- In a medium bowl add the eggs, salt and pepper and whisk together until well blended. Pour egg mixture into skillet. If you removed the bacon, add it back into the pan at this time.
- Top mixture with cheese and place your oven safe skillet into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 piece