Spring Is Right Around The Corner!
March is right around the corner and there are a few foods that sing spring to me! Lamb, kale, and cilantro are just a few of my favorite foods to eat in the spring.
I am super excited to dig out of this snow (I only have about a foot on the ground at this time) 😯 and getting a glimpse of fresh tasting fruits and vegetables is enough to send me into a severe case of spring fever! How about you…are you itching to dive into some warmer weather?
Spring is about new life and starting fresh. It is a time to rejuvenate yourself and is a chance to reclaim (if you fell off the wagon over the winter) your health.
Our Spring Series
So I thought we could dive into spring together. Starting in March we have a great group of contributors that are starting to write for Whole Lifestyle Nutrition.
I will send an official post out introducing you all to them in the next few days. They are an amazing group of people, I am super excited to have them join our team!
For the whole month of March, our topic will be Breaking Into Spring! Here are a few of the topics that we will be covering:
- Spring Cleaning The Body & Detoxing Tips
- How To Start Your Own Balcony Garden
- A Spring Recipe ~ Soaked Strawberry Baked Oatmeal
- A Spring Outdoor Workout Routine
- Seeking Out Spring Events In “Your City”
- Early Spring Soupe au Pistou (Seasonal Vegetable Soup with Pistou)
- How To Grow Seeds Out Of Eggshells
So come one come all…Let’s get this party started and bring in the new season together! 😀
A Spring Recipe For You
It is still cold for many of us…so the soup is still very fitting. Some delicious lamb, bits of kale make up this delicious, easy lamb stew. Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery with leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2-3 cups packed kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1-6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery and carrots and cook for 7 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add lamb and red pepper to mixture and brown for 5-7 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, cumin, bay leaf, black pepper and salt and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and kale, stir and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes then remove bay leaf and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving