This is what was for lunch…grilled cheese with an organically roasted tomato soup recipe! Oh my goodness, let me just tell you, with the exception of the olive oil, 100% of the ingredients for the soup came out of my garden. Yep, 100%!!!
About this time of year (end of summer), I have so many tomatoes coming out of my garden that I just don’t know what to do with them all. If you are in the same boat as me, then this recipe is for YOU!
Grab Some Tomatoes
Head on out to your garden and pick you 3 pounds of tomatoes (I think I have about 15 pounds out in my garden ripe and ready to go)! Look how beautiful my tomatoes are!!
Pick Some Peppers
I just tossed the tomatoes into my All-Clad Lasagna Pan, and it worked out amazing! Then I picked a few peppers (thought about adding a jalapeño too but didn’t know if my company could handle the heat), but if you like heat then add some jalapeños if you have them in your garden.
Dig Up Some Garlic and Onions
I then dug out some of my garlic and a large sweet onion and chopped them up and threw them right into the pan!
Add Some Olive Oil
Next, I poured a generous amount of quality olive oil and tossed the vegetables lightly. I then seasoned heavily with salt and pepper.
I popped it into a 400ºF oven and allowed the vegetables to roast for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes I stirred the vegetables (and now juice) added about 1/4-1/2 cup fresh basil and placed it back into the oven for another 40 minutes.
No fuss, really! Depending on how thick or thin you like your soup your vegetables might be ready after the second 40 minutes. I like mine extra thick so I stirred one more time and returned back to the oven for about 1/2 hour so that the juices evaporated slightly.
Cook and Blend
Now just blend until smooth. If you want it extra creamy, you can add in some fresh cream or half and half. I added about 1/4 cup of raw half and half.
If your soup is too thick, feel free to add some hot chicken stock to thin it out and if you think it is going to be too thin, you can drain some of the liquid before putting it into a food processor and then add it back into your soup if needed. Several options for you.
Viola, Your Roasted Tomato Soup
Once finished you have this! How amazing does this look? And of course, you can’t have tomato soup without a grilled cheese, can you?
Don’t Forget The Grilled Cheese
I mean a grilled cheese is like bread and butter, or a peanut butter and jelly…it is an all-American, ooey gooey comfort food that we all just have to have from time to time.
Oh yeah, bet you can’t guess what I am about to do with this amazing sourdough grilled cheese??
Heading In For The Dunk
It wouldn’t be proper unless there was an incredible, all-American dunk…right? Are you with me here? Are you ready to make this for lunch yet? Now I got to run and chow down on this amazing soup! But before I do, tell me how do you use up all of your tomatoes in your garden?
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large baking dish, (I used my All Clad Lasagna Pan) place all the tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil into the pan and roast for 40 minutes.
- Take out of oven and stir, you will have juice in the pan now. Stir in basil and place back into oven for 40 more minutes.
- After the second 40 minutes if your vegetables are tender and you like a thinner soup then you can move onto the next step. If you desire a thick soup, put back into oven for 30 more minutes to allow some of the juices to evaporate.
- Once finished cooking, remove from oven and remove the garlic. Place the remaining vegetable mixture into a food processor, Vitamix or Ninja and blend until smooth.
- If to thick you can add some cream, half and half or chicken stock.
- If you like your soup very smooth, you can strain the soup or run it through a food mill
- Serve and enjoy!
This could easily be done in a crockpot. Put all ingredients in crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours and then drain excess juice and reserve and blend as directed. Add the reserved juice back to the soup to get desired thickness or thinness.
- Serving Size: 1 cup