One of the most frequent questions I am asked is “Halle, do you have a recipe that can substitute out condense cream of chicken/mushroom soup?” When you look at a can of this stuff…it is astounding how many unhealthy ingredients are in this. I wouldn’t even categorize these soups as food, they are that bad! So I set out to create a healthy alternative. In this recipe I am using potato flour
.Potato flour is a flour which is produced from potatoes which have been cooked, dried, and then ground potatoes. It is commonly confused with, but is different than, potato starch flour which is made only from the starch of a potato. Potato flour is typically less dense and less white than potato starch. There are a number of uses for potato flour, ranging from Passover cooking to gluten-free baking. Large markets and health food stores may carry this type of flour, and it is also available on line
.One use of potato flour
is as a thickener. Potato flour can be added to soups, stews, gravies, and other dishes to encourage these dishes to thicken without adding a strong flavor or intense starchy texture. However, care should be used when using potato flour as a thickener. If it is used in a dish which is allowed to boil, it can acquire a strange and unpleasant texture.For people of the Jewish faith, potato flour is an important part of the Passover menu, when grains are not allowed. Potato flour is used to replace regular flour in various dishes such as dumplings during Passover to comply with the restriction against eating grains. It may be combined with other flours which are not derived from grains to create a specific desired texture, or used alone.
So the next time you have a recipe that calls for a can of condensed cream of chicken/mushroom soup, pull out this recipe and make your own. It will take you less then 5 minutes to prepare and is so much healthier and tastier then those store bought brands.
Homemade Condensed Cream Of Chicken/Mushroom Soup, Holistic Recipe
- 1 cup homemade stockor organic chicken stock
- 3 tbsp melted grass fed butter
- 2 ounces finely diced cooked chicken pieces (make pieces very small). If making cream of mushroom, omit chicken and add 1/2 cup of sautéed mushrooms cut into small pieces.
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp of potato flour
- 1 tbsp raw milk/ or fresh coconut milk, see recipe
- 1 tbsp full fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- In a bowl add chicken stock (stock doesn’t need to be heated) and potato flour.
- You might want to sift the potato flour in so you don’t get lumps.
- Add melted butter, milk, greek yogurt, poultry seasoning, unrefined sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Whisk very well.
- Stir in chicken.
- Use to replace cream of chicken or cream of mushroom in recipes.
- Recipe is equivalent to 1 store bought can.
Grab The Whole Lifestyle Nutrition Cookbook, Real Food Made Simple for more great recipes!
Don’t have all the ingredients? No problem! Click on links below to see about purchasing these product.