What Is A Dutch Baby Pancake?
So just what is a dutch baby pancake? According to the Wikipedia, A Dutch baby pancake, sometimes called a German pancake, a Bismarck, or a Dutch puff, is a sweet breakfast dish similar to Yorkshire pudding and derived from the German Apfelpfannkuchen.
It is made with eggs, flour, and milk, and usually seasoned with vanilla and cinnamon, although occasionally sugar is also added. It is baked in a metal pan and falls soon after being removed from the oven. It is generally served with freshly squeezed lemon, butter, and powdered sugar or fruit toppings or syrup.
Customize To Your Liking…
I served mine with blueberries and sifted some homemade powdered sugar over the Dutch baby pancake and drizzled some maple syrup over it. It was amazing.
You could also put the diced apples right into the Dutch baby pancake and the apples will bake as the Dutch baby pancake cooks.
Another way to prepare this delicious treat is to spread your favorite fruit preserve onto the pancake or top it with some mixed berries and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. You can come up with many different creations. Enjoy.
This Recipe Is From Our New Cookbook!
Like this recipe? Well, then you will LOVE my new cookbook: Gluten Free and Grain Free Breads, Batters and Doughs!
This is so much more than “just a cookbook”! In this book, I teach you how to bake with almond flour, nut butters, coconut flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour and even toasted quinoa flour! You will be an expert in gluten free and grain free baking after you read this cookbook, I promise!
There are tons of gluten free, grain free and Paleo recipes throughout this book! Get your copy today!!
Pin It For Later
This Gluten Free Grain Free Dutch Baby Pancake is a breakfast that can fit anyone’s taste!
- 3 large organic eggs
- 3/4 cup fresh coconut milk, see video for recipe or you can buy it here
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut palm sugar
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/8 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 tbsp coconut oil – you can buy it here
- homemade powdered sugar made without cane sugar
- apples, strawberries, mixed berries to garnish
- maple syrup to drizzle over dutch baby pancakes
- Preheat oven to 475 F.
- Heat a 12 inch skillet or stone pie dish (preferably stone) for 10 minutes.
- In the mean time mix together eggs, coconut milk, vanilla extract, coconut palm sugar, almond flour, arrowroot and tapioca powder, sea salt and cinnamon.
- Pull the hot pan out of the oven and add the coconut oil and butter.Swirl around the pan until melted.
- Add egg mixture to the hot pan and put back into oven and cook for 13-15 minutes.
- When you remove from oven, pancake will puff up like a soufflé and then will fall after you remove from oven. This is normal.
- Serve with fruit of choice and drizzle with some maple syrup.
Nutrition Info: Calories: 376.0 Fat: 30.6g Carbohydrates: 14.9g Protein: 13.4g
- Serving Size: 3
- Calories: 376
- Fat: 30.6
- Carbohydrates: 14.9
- Protein: 13.4
Like This Post? Give It A +1 on G+