Here are a few tips when substituting honey for sugar in a recipe.
- When using honey, start out with 1/2 of the amount of sugar. So if a recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, substitute it with a 1/2 cup of raw honey.
- When measuring honey, coat your measuring cup with olive oil to allow your honey to smoothly and quickly come out of the measuring cup with no mess.
- Reduce temperature by 25 degrees to prevent over browning.
- For every 1 cup of honey replaced in a recipe, reduce the liquid amount (milk, water or other liquids) in the recipe by 1/4 cup.
- For each cup of honey used in a recipe, add 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- If you need your honey to be runny or in a more liquid state, it is ok to melt your honey on the stove top using low heat. Be sure to heat it as little as possible, just until it is melted.
With these simple tips, you can make any recipe a bit healthier for you and your family.
Here are some delicious recipes that I have used raw honey as a sweetener in.